Options: 1 Rifle/2 loads combo

Porker

Hi all,

With the move to OZ looming, I have been simplifying things in the hunting department. Step 1 was to get an all rounder for pig etc. in OZ, and the custom 338 WM was the choice. Next on the horizon is to leave 1 rifle and caliber behind in Africa for most hunting when I return once a year
to visit family.

The thinking was to stick to hunting small to meduim size plains game up to kudu/red hartbeest at most (CPX3). The challenge is to use this rifle in brush (110 yards) and open country (up to 300 yards). The options I have been mulling over with regards to a rifle is the following:

1) 7x64: Shoot a 140/150g nice and flat for shots up to 300 yards and load a 160/175g bullet for brush hunting.
2) 308: Get the 1:10 twist with 150g flat an far, and load a 180g for brush.
3) 270: 130/140g flat an far, and load the 160g for brush.

I'm sort of an oddball fan, so no 30-06 for me. There is readily available Nosler/Barnes/Hornady/Swift bullets here in South Africa. You clever folk out there must have some good combinations to share! Feel free to recomend rifle models and specific manufacturers bullets, and comment on my thinking!:D ... cheers and thanks!

Hi all,

With the move to OZ looming, I have been simplifying things in the hunting department. Step 1 was to get an all rounder for pig etc. in OZ, and the custom 338 WM was the choice. Next on the horizon is to leave 1 rifle and caliber behind in Africa for most hunting when I return once a year
to visit family.

The thinking was to stick to hunting small to meduim size plains game up to kudu/red hartbeest at most (CPX3). The challenge is to use this rifle in brush (110 yards) and open country (up to 300 yards). The options I have been mulling over with regards to a rifle is the following:

1) 7x64: Shoot a 140/150g nice and flat for shots up to 300 yards and load a 160/175g bullet for brush hunting.
2) 308: Get the 1:10 twist with 150g flat an far, and load a 180g for brush.
3) 270: 130/140g flat an far, and load the 160g for brush.

I'm sort of an oddball fan, so no 30-06 for me. There is readily available Nosler/Barnes/Hornady/Swift bullets here in South Africa. You clever folk out there must have some good combinations to share! Feel free to recomend rifle models and specific manufacturers bullets, and comment on my thinking!:D ... cheers and thanks!

why not just get something like a 300 wsm or win mag and load with a 180 grain and call it good. zero it in for 200 any you would only be a few inches high at 100 and a few low at 300. or even the newer 338 federal. its still a short action (if i remember right) has a heavy projectile and from what i heard does a good number on game

not a big speed guy... but the 180g in 300 does look like an option to consider, wil be a while before we see any 338 fed's in our woods .... thanks!

I'd probably suggest a 7MM mag. Flat shooting and bullets plenty big enough for any of the plains game. Recoil is workable. Good all around caliber. Should be readily available in RSA. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.