Optimum Powder for .338Winchester Magnum???

Joaquin B

As my supply of Barnes 210 gr. XLC bullets dwindles to my last 30 loaded rounds, it's time for me to develop a new load for my Winchester M-70 in .338 Win. Mag. My present load with the Barnes XCL bullets uses weight sorted Remingotn nickel-plated brass, Federal 215 primers and IMR4350 powder.

Due to availability, I selected Hornady 225 gr. Interbond bullets to develop my new load. I moly-coated the bullets because I've found I can push them a little bit faster than if left naked. I currently have Alliant Reloder 19, Hodgdon H4350 and H4831 powders available.

Of these powders, which one, in your opinion, produces the best combination of velocity and precision for you? The nosler manual lists Reloder 19 as the powder producing better precision.

What are you opinions? As always, any information provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I also shoot a M70 338. I use RL19 for the 225gr Accubonds and RL22 for the 250 and heavier bullets. I get excellent speed out of RL19. I can get about 2900 out of them and sub inch groups out of the Accubonds. You should be able to do about the same with the Interbonds. I like the two Alliant powders for the 338. I got 2650 with the older 275gr Speers with RL22 plus excellent groups. Scotty

I also shoot a M70 338. I use RL19 for the 225gr Accubonds and RL22 for the 250 and heavier bullets. I get excellent speed out of RL19. I can get about 2900 out of them and sub inch groups out of the Accubonds. You should be able to do about the same with the Interbonds. I like the two Alliant powders for the 338. I got 2650 with the older 275gr Speers with RL22 plus excellent groups. Scotty

What is your barrel length? What is your current Avg. Velocity with the 250's and which ones are you using?

Tank

Tank, I have a 24" barrel M70. I haven't shot the 250's over a chrono yet. They are also 250gr Accubonds. Once I do, I will post back my results. I have shot the 225gr Accubonds over the chrono quite a bit and get 2875 with 74gr's of RL19. I am loading 72gr's of RL22 with the 275gr Speers though. They are clocking at 2650. I wouldn't think it will be a big trick to get 2800 out of the 250's. Those should be an excellent game killer. Scotty

I'm new to LRH and having a new barrel made by Kreiger 26" w/ 1:10 twist in .338 WM on my Rem700LA with a HS Precision stock & Defensive Edge cheek piece (w/ "thanks" to Shawn Carlock for answering my questions).

Anyone having a good pet load for 250gr ,338WM that I can start out with? Reloading manual info is currently scarce for this caliber, although I expect that may change due to recent popularity.

I'm experienced hunter but always used 30-06 and limited my distance shots up to now. Desire is to work up an accurate load I can trust for LRH shots as they may present themself.

To start reloading .338WM, so far I've managed to find 100 rds of new brass, and 1# each of RL-19 and RL-22 plus two boxes of 250gr bullets. While there is no immediate "rush", I figured I could use this time to start prep work on a few loads while I'm waiting for return of my barreled action. Any insight/info on this subject most appreciated. Thanks!

I'm new to LRH and having a new barrel made by Kreiger 26" w/ 1:10 twist in .338 WM on my Rem700LA with a HS Precision stock & Defensive Edge cheek piece (w/ "thanks" to Shawn Carlock for answering my questions).

Anyone having a good pet load for 250gr ,338WM that I can start out with? Reloading manual info is currently scarce for this caliber, although I expect that may change due to recent popularity.

I'm experienced hunter but always used 30-06 and limited my distance shots up to now. Desire is to work up an accurate load I can trust for LRH shots as they may present themself.

To start reloading .338WM, so far I've managed to find 100 rds of new brass, and 1# each of RL-19 and RL-22 plus two boxes of 250gr bullets. While there is no immediate "rush", I figured I could use this time to start prep work on a few loads while I'm waiting for return of my barreled action. Any insight/info on this subject most appreciated. Thanks!

Good long range load, Hornady 250gn BTHP Match, H4350 68 to 70 grains. CCI 250 mag primers. you will thank me one day!

You are probably going to be in the 2700 fps range I would imagine. Jumping that to a 26" or 28" bore may add some velocity using H1000, RL17, or Retumbo and give another 150 to 200 fps. I'm a guy on a budget, so I am always trying to find cheaper alternatives. Making it an Acklely shoulder may help it along.

Tank

Last edited:
338 Win Mag

Reloader 19 @ 74.0 with 225gr TSX
78.0 with 225gr Hornady or Part.

WW Brass
Fed 215GM primer

As my supply of Barnes 210 gr. XLC bullets dwindles to my last 30 loaded rounds, it's time for me to develop a new load for my Winchester M-70 in .338 Win. Mag. My present load with the Barnes XCL bullets uses weight sorted Remingotn nickel-plated brass, Federal 215 primers and IMR4350 powder.

Due to availability, I selected Hornady 225 gr. Interbond bullets to develop my new load. I moly-coated the bullets because I've found I can push them a little bit faster than if left naked. I currently have Alliant Reloder 19, Hodgdon H4350 and H4831 powders available.

Of these powders, which one, in your opinion, produces the best combination of velocity and precision for you? The nosler manual lists Reloder 19 as the powder producing better precision.

What are you opinions? As always, any information provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Reloader 19

225 Hornadys or Part
78.0 of RL 19

225 TSX
74.0 of Reloader 19

250gr Sierra BT Gameking
73.0 of RL 19

Fed 215GM
WW Brass

Last edited:
Thanks Topshot-- I'd like to thank you now and then happily report back with my personal experience using that suggested load in a few months.

Now if I can only find some Magnum primers... :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts