Optimum bullet weight 8” twist 264?

MagnumManiac

G'day all,
I would like some advice on optimum bullet weight for 29" barrel 8" twist 264WM for 1000mtr comp.
I am building this rifle currently, I usually run 142gr in my F-class gun but want to run something heavier.
What options have I got?

Cheers.

I'm not a competitive shooter but you could try the 156 Berger or the 160 Matrix.

144 LR Hybrid, 150 SMK (highest BC), 153.5 LR Hybrid.
With the speeds you will be running, should all stabilize fine. Your density altitude may play a bit of a role here though.

Thanks, problem is Matrix aren't available here to my knowledge.
Tried the 150 SMK in my F-class rig and it was not as consistent as the 142gr.
I think I will try the 156gr Berger...if I can get any here.

Lancetkenyon,
Who makes the 144gr/153.5gr Hybrids?

Cheers.

I believe Matrix is shipping to the U.S. now. I think Berger is making those bullets Lance listed. But better wait till someone confirms that.

Ok guys, unfortunately for me I'm in Australia and many bullets aren't available here.
I have a dislike for anything Hornady, shot my chrony with a Hornady 220gr RN out of my 300WM many years ago, sure it WAS my fault, but I blame the bullet for dropping so much!

Only options are Nosler, Berger, Sierra, Lapua and now Hammer Bullets, but this is going to be target rifle oriented with SOME hunting thrown in. I just finished a switch barrel set up on a Rem 700 LR in 300WM and it came in @ 12.5lbs with scope/bi-pod attached.

This rifle will be heavier than this by a considerable amount, maybe 4lbs or more.

Cheers.

My first 1000 yard target rifle was made with a 264 Win Mag 29" 1:9 twist Douglas barrel. Shot Norma 139 gr. FMJBT nickel plated match bullets; tested MOA at 1000 with H870. Full length sized cases.

Barrel lasted 640 rounds when it opened to 3 MOA across 4 shots.

Ensure your bullets are a few ten-thousandths larger diameter than barrel groove diameter for best accuracy. 150 to 160 grains may be best.

Last edited:
My reamer for a 264 wm shipped today from JGS. I set it up for the 156 Berger based on velocity, accuracy and ease of loading in my short & long action Sherman's.

Thanks, problem is Matrix aren't available here to my knowledge.
Tried the 150 SMK in my F-class rig and it was not as consistent as the 142gr.
I think I will try the 156gr Berger...if I can get any here.

Lancetkenyon,
Who makes the 144gr/153.5gr Hybrids?

Cheers.
Berger makes the 144 & 153.5 Long Range Hybrids. I can tell you the 144s are crazy accurate. I have not tested the 153.5s yet.

Thanks very much guys!
I am going to try those new Bergers, they are actually in stock here... hooray! Will give both weights 144/153.5gr a whirl.
I also have a few hundred 142gr RDF bullets to try, but seeing this is a 8" twist, I feel it will shine with 150+gr bullets.
I am champing at the bit to get this rifle finished. My switch barrel on a Model 70 EW in 338WM & 264WM has proven to be far more accurate than I ever expected, 1/2 MoA is the rule with either barrel, should have gone 8" twist with the 264, went 8.5" twist...oh well.

Again, thanks guys.

Cheers.

I have been using 140-142gr in my 6.5x284's and and recently started using the Berger 156 EOL in my 8 twist, running at 2950-3000FPS. They have proven to be exceptionally accurate out to 1000 yards(tesred). While I'm at borderline stability at 400FT elevation, I have not experienced any stability issues. At 264WM velocities, particularly with your longer barrel, you should be well above the 150 stability factor.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.