Optimal/ ideal stability factor?

I agree with bullet length determines twist rate, to a extent.
Weight is also a important factor and can be proven with a twist rate calculator, and watch the SG go down with bullets like monos who have a length comparable to a much heavier bullet. The twist rate needs to be faster for the lighter bullet that has the same length as the heavier. I know that balance dynamics of monos are different than cup and core bullets and are at play as well.

I think today's bullets, for the most part, are much better in construction and quality eliminating many of the worries of over stabilization that was once a factor 20 years ago. Many more bullets now that can survive the high vel launches than ever before. It wasn't too long ago that it was difficult to find a bullet that could survive the 7 rum running to its potential.

I agree with bullet length determines twist rate, to a extent.
Weight is also a important factor and can be proven with a twist rate calculator, and watch the SG go down with bullets like monos who have a length comparable to a much heavier bullet. The twist rate needs to be faster for the lighter bullet that has the same length as the heavier. I know that balance dynamics of monos are different than cup and core bullets and are at play as well.
Yes. It is a formula of bullet length, weight and barrel twist. With vel being a minor factor. Temp and air density are heavily factored as well. For ballistic stability. Terminal performance comes down rpm's more than anything but still all the other things factor in as well as how the bullets act offer impact. Coming up with a formula for terminal stability is above my pay grade but from our testing I am very comfortable with 1.5sg calculated at sea level and standard atmosphere. Guys in AK that are hunting at sea level and cold temperatures should error towards 2.0 sg.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.