Unega Waya

Hello all,

First post on here so if there are any rules I end up crossing please let me know, I'll get it fixed ASAP. I also tried searching the threads, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for as most questions weren't related to suppressor use.

Question: What barrel length for 300 wsm is optimal when using a QD SIG Sauer 762 SRD can? This is the stainless steel version, so it's on the heavy side at 17 oz and 7 inches long. Will be running it with the muzzle brake mount. (First suppressor for me so durability/cost/multi cal use was extremely important.)

Parameters/Parts:
1. Will be using this on a Savage Short action, Model 10T with the original 308 barrel cut to 20 in. I chose this action because of the ease of changing calibers/barrels by myself as I'm a budding hobby gunsmith and wanted more practice on an easier platform.
Swapped to Timney trigger.
2. Changed out accustock for a MDT gen2 lss xl chassis with a folding stock adaptor (still deciding on which stock).
3. Leopold Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50 with TS-60 reticule, MOA, first focal. (Will probably change to a Larue QD mount with 20 MOA built in due to likelyhood of often swapping parts on rifle thus needing to remove scope.)
3. I'm going to be primarly using the 308 barrel for practice/cheaper ammo, but will eventually move to the 300wsm for longer range accuracy, and more importantly better killing power on elk.
4. I'm looking at this eventually becoming my long range backpacking rifle for Montana distances, (1000ish yards max once my skill can complement) on elk and smaller size targets. Obviously weight is important to me because I'll be hauling it around, but I'm willing to sacrifice some weight for increased performance. (Yes I'm an experienced back country woodsman, last vacation was a 36 mile, 12,000 ft, 75lb pack, hike in Colorado.) This is really just another excuse to get me in the high country hiking and hunting something....anything.
5. I'm using a folding stock in order to gain barrel length, will be storing it in pack with suppressor detached until at/close to hunting location. (If hunting <150 yds woods I use a Marlin 45-70, so this is NOT doing double duty as a woods gun.)

Back to the original question: I'm leaning towards two different angles, run shorter at 22-24 in with a heavier contour, or run longer at 26-28 in with a lighter contour. Probably 1-10 twist regardless. Thinking heavy for cal bullets for better penetration on elk, with the option for lighter bullets to gain speed/distance on something like a mountain goat etc. Worried about barrel whip if I go longer with the suppressor on the end, but will I need/greatly benefit from that velocity? Yes I'm sorta jack-of-all trades on this so it won't be optimal, but I've gotta learn somewhere and I'm on a limited budget, so no free lunch. Not reloading yet, but hopefully will soon, so that's why I chose 300 wsm instead of 6.5 SAUM, better/cheaper commercial loadings.

Any thoughts or ideas? I'm a long time lurker on here, really respect ya'lls advice and input. Thank you!

Cohunt- So you're recommending the shorter heavier barrel even though I might lose some volocity? That's the way my thinking has evolved over time, but I'm imagining myself on the hunt of a lifetime after grinding my way to high altitude. The last thing I would want to see is something (like a goat) at 1200 yards with me unable to close the distance before nightfall, and worrying about making the shot due to velocity loss in a short barrel. Life is full of compromises so if I had to pass on that hunt so be it, but I'm really not relishing that thought. I was there once before with a gorgeous trophy level mule deer across a canyon at 650 yards and all I had was a 6.5 Grendel and too little skill so I had to pass. That experience certainly spurred me into this current dilemma.

Cohunt- So you're recommending the shorter heavier barrel even though I might lose some volocity? That's the way my thinking has evolved over time, but I'm imagining myself on the hunt of a lifetime after grinding my way to high altitude. The last thing I would want to see is something (like a goat) at 1200 yards with me unable to close the distance before nightfall, and worrying about making the shot due to velocity loss in a short barrel. Life is full of compromises so if I had to pass on that hunt so be it, but I'm really not relishing that thought. I was there once before with a gorgeous trophy level mule deer across a canyon at 650 yards and all I had was a 6.5 Grendel and too little skill so I had to pass. That experience certainly spurred me into this current dilemma.
Run the numbers on the say 60 fps loss in velocity at 1200 yards and you will quickly see that it won't be anything but your own skill that makes you miss that once in a life shot.

Keep in mind with that can, that 22" barrel is really a 29" barrel, which is LONG. I think as your skill increases you will see that the shorter more handy rifle was the appropriate answer.

I've been getting more and more into the long range game over the last 7 years. And I can honestly say the longest shot on an animal I have yet to take was with a stock Savage, in .243 Win., shooting factory 80gr. bullets. (643 yards). And I've shot quite a few animals in between there. Just my thoughts.

Run the numbers on the say 60 fps loss in velocity at 1200 yards and you will quickly see that it won't be anything but your own skill that makes you miss that once in a life shot.

Keep in mind with that can, that 22" barrel is really a 29" barrel, which is LONG. I think as your skill increases you will see that the shorter more handy rifle was the appropriate answer.

I've been getting more and more into the long range game over the last 7 years. And I can honestly say the longest shot on an animal I have yet to take was with a stock Savage, in .243 Win., shooting factory 80gr. bullets. (643 yards). And I've shot quite a few animals in between there. Just my thoughts.

Interesting, okay so it seems like I was on the right track originally, I'm just overthinking it. And you're right, 29 inches is way out there when you're sitting on some cliff angle. I also don't anticipate taking these long shots anytime soon, but I've always been one to plan and train for the most extreme option so that I'm proficient at more likely scenarios.
What contour would you recommend on a 22 in barrel with the weight of the suppressor added into the figure?
Also is the 1/10 twist I'm thinking on target?

You have a 5/8x24 thread can so you will need enough contour to thread that and leave you a shoulder to for the can to run against or your adapter. You are also adding length with an adapter possibly. I have same cans but direct thread.

Haven't measured it but it's about an inch or less added on the adaptor. So you're recommending going as light as possible with the thread size being the limiting factor?

Both of my rifles built for a can are 22 inches long. In the WSM I don't think you'll lose that much velocity from 24 to really make a difference within reasonable ranges.

My smith was real impressed with the x-cal barrels about a year ago but quit them due to inconsistency...too many rejects.

He's now gone to Muller. I have one in a creed and it's been great in the short time I've owned it.

Yes I think the thread will be somewhat limiting depending on how much shoulder you want. Look at Benchmark Barrels also.

Benchmark, Brux, Bartlein, hawk hill, mullerworks, Krieger, Lilja, Broughton all make consistently good barrels, but they also can make a bad one from time to time.

I'd go 20 inches suppressed. If you are carrying it along way and it's excessively long it will drive you mad. Also will be muzzle heavy making off hand shots awkward. In New Zealand lots of hunting rifles are suppressed with many saums, wsms etc even down to 18 inch barrels and still effective. Yes you lose speed but you will be surprised at what 20 inches will do.

Good luck with whatever you decide .

Yeah, I've had the long barrel whacking every hanging branch experience, it wasn't fun. That's actually why I'm dealing with adding the weight of the folding adaptor, that way it's just the length of my action and barrel to contend with. And of course off hand shots are possible, but this build is more likely to be used at high altitude, so chances are the animals will be seen from a long way off and a stalk will have to be initiated. Thanks for the advice, didn't realize New Zealand was using them that short.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.