I run a few 24" barrels with suppressors, but I've got plenty of space where I hunt. You could probably do 22", but at that end you might as well reap the benefits of 24" if it's an open country gun. If you're worried about weight, Proof makes Savage prefit barrels... Also, consider that you may not be able to get a 300WSM in a savage small shank barrel. I believe all of their factory WSM rifles are large shank because of strength issues.

Thanks for the advice on Proof barrels, I was unaware they made Savage prefit stuff.

You have me worried now, was unaware of a possible shank issue when converting to a short mag. Please school me on this, I'm a lot less knowledgeable about it then I'd like to be. My hope was that by staying in the short action I could cut some weight and still have approximately 90+% of the capabilities of a 300 win mag. If I'm having to run a large shank however, is it convertible from a small shank or will I need a new receiver? And if yes, will I be gaining enough weight back that it would just make more sense to jump to a long action?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the tactical heavy barrel version built with a large shank? I'm not at the house where I can measure it at the moment.

Last edited:
The large shank savage actions are a completely different action. so, in order to go that route, new action. savage made large shank actions for target and tactical, and the RUM/WSM cases. I believe it was something to do with the overall case diameter being too large to safely and reliably work in the small shank. You could probably use a hot 6.5mm like a PRC or a 7mm mag to make up some of the performance you're looking for. If you ran 7mm mag you'd be fine with the barrel shank and a good 180gr bullet will do everything you want and maybe do it a bit better than the 300WSM.

The large shank savage actions are a completely different action. so, in order to go that route, new action. savage made large shank actions for target and tactical, and the RUM/WSM cases. I believe it was something to do with the overall case diameter being too large to safely and reliably work in the small shank. You could probably use a hot 6.5mm like a PRC or a 7mm mag to make up some of the performance you're looking for. If you ran 7mm mag you'd be fine with the barrel shank and a good 180gr bullet will do everything you want and maybe do it a bit better than the 300WSM.

Hmm I might get lucky then since this is a heavy barrel tactical version then. I'll have to check later. Otherwise yeah I'm going to be looking for a new caliber since I've already sunk money into the chassis etc. Not a horrible thing I guess because the whole point of this build was to gain knowledge, which I'm doing in leaps and bounds right now. I'll probably just end up with a large shank action as well. Thanks for the advice!

Just talked with savage customer service, they stated only the stealth tactical model uses the large shank in 308, unless you go with one of the heavier bench rest type rifles. Which means I'm now stuck looking for a different caliber. Bummer.

For me it would be a QD mount, but 86alaskan just worried me with his comment about small vs large shank. I might be back to the drawing board, need to do some more research first.
Have you verified with the manufacturer on what diameter you need for the QD mount?
An example is that thunderbeast has specs for their thread and barrel size for their CB mounts. 5/8" thread i think needs a .725" barrel dia. But a 9/16" takes a smaller dia. They do have some other way to put their brake on a lightweight barrel but I haven't called them.

When it comes to suppressors, watch the weight and length and also what caliber and barrel length they are rated for. Heavy long suppressors aren't much fun in the field.

Have you verified with the manufacturer on what diameter you need for the QD mount?
An example is that thunderbeast has specs for their thread and barrel size for their CB mounts. 5/8" thread i think needs a .725" barrel dia. But a 9/16" takes a smaller dia. They do have some other way to put their brake on a lightweight barrel but I haven't called them.

No not yet, was getting around to that point but now that I'm having to change calibers I'm back to square one. Something around 7mm might work, but I'm trying to figure out if I might be better off just saving for a long action and then going to something like a 300 win mag. I've got a lot to think about, because if I were to go with something like a 6.5 SAUM, I'm reading I'll need more barrel length.

When it comes to suppressors, watch the weight and length and also what caliber and barrel length they are rated for. Heavy long suppressors aren't much fun in the field.

Yeah, I hear ya, it's surprised me how weighty this one feels. Unfortunately budget limits how many I can get, and then I'd still have to wait for the ATF to finally release it from jail, which ain't a fast process by any means.

Since I started shooting with suppressors my barrels have been getting shorter and shorter. Typically between 16 and 20 inches. My SAUMs are 20s.

I like the light palma if packing and covering alot of ground. Then a medium to heavy palma for more stability when hunting from stationary positions. The weight is nice and soaks up a little recoil when you are at the range banging steal.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?54038-Safe-to-build-WSM-on-small-shank

Here ya go sir. Many people have built wsm on small shank savages. Hope this helps

Oh HAPPY day! You sir are awesome, and just made my day a lot better. I've been researching a lot and apparently its a legitimate thing, with the only issue being occasional hard extraction, but that's not even across the board. lol I'm back on then, just going to have to be careful how hot the barrel gets, but then again this isn't meant for competition, and the extra detail I am having to put into this build is doing exactly what I wanted, teaching me.

Oh HAPPY day! You sir are awesome, and just made my day a lot better. I've been researching a lot and apparently its a legitimate thing, with the only issue being occasional hard extraction, but that's not even across the board. lol I'm back on then, just going to have to be careful how hot the barrel gets, but then again this isn't meant for competition, and the extra detail I am having to put into this build is doing exactly what I wanted, teaching me.

If you are using the 300 wsm only as a hunting cartridge you will never have any issues. To be honest I don't think you'd have an issue either way. I wouldn't hesitate to get on the savage shooters forum and talk to Scope Eye about it. I purchased an action, stock and barrel from him all nicely setup. He will can let you know his experience with it all. I am doing similar to you but with a Big Horn action and a switchlug. So I get the appeal to one stock, one action and one scope with lots of barrels. Good luck and let me know if you need help finding a barrel builder.

If you are using the 300 wsm only as a hunting cartridge you will never have any issues. To be honest I don't think you'd have an issue either way. I wouldn't hesitate to get on the savage shooters forum and talk to Scope Eye about it. I purchased an action, stock and barrel from him all nicely setup. He will can let you know his experience with it all. I am doing similar to you but with a Big Horn action and a switchlug. So I get the appeal to one stock, one action and one scope with lots of barrels. Good luck and let me know if you need help finding a barrel builder.

Yeah it'll only be hunting cartridge for me, maybe some long practice eventually. Okay, I'll have to get in touch with him. Thank you for the suggestion! It's certainly captured my attention that's for sure. The ability to shoot cheaper 308 ammo most of the year, and then once hunting season hits to swap out to something with more punch is extremely valuable.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts