Thanks everyone for the advice, it's certainly steered me in one direction. It's pretty nice when you get confirmation that all your internet schooling was actually correct and you were on the right track. Still getting parts together so it might be awhile, but I'll post an update when I finally finish this build.

I run a 22 inch Bartlein barrel on my .300 WSM with a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 can. If you are a reloader, RL26 will get you 2850 to 2900 FPS with the Berger 210.

I run a 22 inch Bartlein barrel on my .300 WSM with a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 can. If you are a reloader, RL26 will get you 2850 to 2900 FPS with the Berger 210.

With a 210?! Wow, didn't realize you could still get that kind of velocity out of a 22 in barrel. Now I'm really starting to get excited, this ought to be a fantastic hunting machine. Thanks for the advice!

Yep, Here is the load data from Berger from back when they would still send it to ya....Only caveat is that my gun is built on a long action so I can seat my bullets considerably longer than a SAAMI limited setup. I have really been impressed with the RL26 in the .300 WSM with the heavy bullets. I like the Berger 210 and I still have a ton of the older 208 AMAX. You can see here how it compares to RL17 and RL23.....I have found these numbers to be bit on the conservative side as far as pressure goes in my gun. This is probably mostly due to the extra case capacity i'm getting by seating the bullets long.
rl 26 berger 210.JPG

What contour did you have on your rifle? I'm trying to figure out which one to use on a build since TBAC states a .725" dia for the 5/8-24 brake

What contour did you have on your rifle? I'm trying to figure out which one to use on a build since TBAC states a .725" dia for the 5/8-24 brake[/QUOTE

If memory serves me correctly it is a bartlein 3b.....I seem to remember my gunsmith coming to the conclusion that when cut down to 22 inches it would work with the thunderbeast muzzle break that serves as an attachment point for the ultra 7. I would call bartlein to confirm this because it has been quite a while since I put it all together.

So in doing research I'm thinking a 22 in, medium sporter with greater then a .750 diameter. Was looking at X-caliber barrels, anyone heard anything about them? I'm unfamiliar with them, but they have a truck ton of options to play with.
http://www.x-caliber.net/savage-pre-fit

I have 4 X caliber barrels and all shoot great. Mine were actually made by Apache Gunworks on X caliber blanks. I also have a few McGowan barrels and they shoot great. I use a light Palma and it should fit all your specs as well if you need .750 as the muzzle. Hope that helps.

You don't need .750 but it depends how much shoulder you want or how your putting the can on. Direct thread or quick connect

I run a few 24" barrels with suppressors, but I've got plenty of space where I hunt. You could probably do 22", but at that end you might as well reap the benefits of 24" if it's an open country gun. If you're worried about weight, Proof makes Savage prefit barrels... Also, consider that you may not be able to get a 300WSM in a savage small shank barrel. I believe all of their factory WSM rifles are large shank because of strength issues.

Yep, Here is the load data from Berger from back when they would still send it to ya....Only caveat is that my gun is built on a long action so I can seat my bullets considerably longer than a SAAMI limited setup. I have really been impressed with the RL26 in the .300 WSM with the heavy bullets. I like the Berger 210 and I still have a ton of the older 208 AMAX. You can see here how it compares to RL17 and RL23.....I have found these numbers to be bit on the conservative side as far as pressure goes in my gun. This is probably mostly due to the extra case capacity i'm getting by seating the bullets long.View attachment 113635

Thanks a million! That's actually exactly what I was hoping for in the 300 wsm. I haven't bought the reloading equipment yet, but it's certainly on the list. Lol more ideas then money at the moment.

You don't need .750 but it depends how much shoulder you want or how your putting the can on. Direct thread or quick connect

For me it would be a QD mount, but 86alaskan just worried me with his comment about small vs large shank. I might be back to the drawing board, need to do some more research first.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.