optima pro

nomadgj

Howdy everyone, I recently purchased an Optima pro muzzleloader and mounted a Lyman receiver peep and a hooded front sight. Has anyone had experience with this gun's accuracy? And does anyone know of a good bullet for shoot 300+ yards? GJ

I would talk to Cecil @ Precision Rifle Home - the world's most innovative Muzzleloader Bullets

He is a nice guy and has good bullets too!! I go out to 250 or so, not that you can't hit them further, but because of wind drift & energy beyond that drops off with conventional in-lines like the Optima Pro. I think over 300 on big game with a mz neccessitates a Savage or at least a more specialized set up with more powder/ump combined with the best bullets. Just my thoughts.

Nomosendero:
I have an Optima Pro as well (mine is a 50cal). Bought it at the end of deer season last year and I've just begun shooting it. To make life a little easier on myself I've decided to shoot 150 grains of pyrodex pellets in my gun (maximum power and easy to find the pellets in about any sporting good store). So I've been experimenting with bullets and primers. So far I've tried Powerbelt bullets in 270gr and 245gr (both aero tips). With those bullets, I've tried the Remington BP primers and the regular Winchester 209 shotshell primer. So far I'm averaging under 3" groups at 100yards. Next I'll be trying the 223gr hollow-point bullet.

All of these bullets have the potential to perform at 300 yards. Powerbelt publishes their ballistics chart on their web site at: Powerbelt Bullets

According everything I read about modern muzzleloaders, bullets (non-saboted), powder and primers says that you can shoot 6+ rounds between cleanings. My experience shows that accuracy serious deteriorates after the 3rd shot.

I have an Optima Elite & an Encore & they can shoot, but still I don't like the energy past 250 yards with 3 pellets or 120 gr. loose Triple 7. The Powerbelts are too short for cal. to suit me, I have since gone to longer bullets. Good luck to you!!

Whoops....in my first post I addressed it to nomosendero and it should have been to nomadgj

Nomosendero (no mistake this time) what bullets do you use?

Nomosendero:
I was able to find the Hornady and Barnes bullets. What are the "PR Bullets"?

Also, the Hornady and Barnes bullets are both saboted bullets. Do you have to clean your barrel between each shot in order to maintain accuracy?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.