optics setup

trueblue

I need to get optics setup for a trip out west where alot of glassing will be involved for the hunt. Want to stay light and portable as I will be carrying the equipment via a backpack.
Basically starting from scratch.
I am thinking of getting a pair of Swarovski HD 10x42 binos w a doubler, in lieu of also having to carry a spotting scope as well. A light weight tripod.Along w the BR2 rangefinder.
This would be my setup for going out west.

Any thoughts or recomendations.
Would like to here what others have for a setup.

Good tripod and head is a must. Most of us use 15x Swarovskis or the like. 10x quality glass will work fine. A little less detail for the small stuff, couse, with 10x. The doubler is a great product even consider two; however watch you objective size for light gathering.

I'll kick in to keep conversation going. I didn't before as I thought you needed qualified advice. My stuff is heavy. We don't backpack much these days. If we do one guy spots the guy with the tag packs the rifle. My old 10-40 leupolds work well still. We haven't found anything that competes side by side with the Swarovski 20-60 x 80 spotter. Heavy but a leg saver

I used that same set up for years.Then traded a friend my 10-42 for 32's and they have alot of years on them.I liked the shorter and lighter size.I hang my binos off the d rings on qds on pack straps, front carry, and rifle safari sling.Spend alot of time in grizz area,plus my hands are free to glass.The doubler is limited in lighting and has very small field of veiw.My 20 x Leo on rifle is far better and I use that to see trophy size, or to view across canyon.Some areas I hunt the drainage is 2 mile across and you just plan attack for next day,at least I do now that Im getting older. I use to pack and old leo straight 20x small spotter, was ok,very light.I still take on occasion my 10-20 leo for muley spotting packing, and use a real, and I mean lighter sized window mount on a branch or on a small screw in bow holder,mere ounces

I have the older swarovski 10x42 and 10x50. I also have the new Swarovski 10x42 I love the new ones and they weigh a lot less. If it was me I'd buy the new ones all over again

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.