Optics Question

oneshot976

I am having problems deciding which scope to use on a 338 Lapua build I have in the works right now. I currently have 2 scopes in my safe to pick from:
1. S&B PMII 4-16x42 GenII Double Turn MOA
2. Leupold Mark4 8.5-25x50

I am struggling with the magnification difference.

What are your thoughts between these 2 scopes. I do not want to spend the cash on a new scope with these 2 to pick from.

Gun will be used for LR hunting.

Thanks
Oneshot

one thing that comes to mind is mirage. How does your Leupald preform on a hot day? Will you be hunting in warmer weather? What is the adjustment on your Mark 4?

I ask these q's because if I'm not mistaken, the mark 4 may be better for adjustment on a longer range big game due to it's 1 moa clicks(?). The lower power scope will allow you to see better at range when heat is playing a part too.

Depends on what you want to do with your rifle. Sorry to say I dont' have that same dilema -oh what to choose? what to choose? LOL!
good luck
mark

The main reason for using a S&B PMII , is the combination of , FFP , metric knobs & metric adjustments , altogether make a Fanastic Tactical scope , drop any of these and you may as well go SFP scope like a Nightforce NXS , but if you still want a PMII , look at the 5-25x56mm PMII S&B .

Later Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.