Optics question

[QUOTE Thanks to your original post I've got one coming in the mail. Thanks![/QUOTE]

That's a good deal. 10x should let you shoot out past 450 easily.
And when your ready to buy a better scope this one make a great one for a kids rifle.

Even if you're not thrilled with the scope, it will do until you can get something better. Also, it will serve as a great back up scope once you replace it. You can never go wrong with having an extra scope laying around. It gives you an excuse to buy another rifle LOL.

i currently have a Ruger m77 chambered in 7mm rem mag. It's got a Leupold Vari x2 2-7 on it. On the higher power my eye relief is only 2.75 inches which makes me a bit nervous. I'm looking at the vortex ha 2.5-10 with the duplex reticle. The thinngs I like about it are the 4 inches of eye relief, the 2.5 power on the lowest setting, and the turrets. I'm still not sure if I want a ffp or sfp I could go either way. I can get one of these new for a little over $300. My question is this. I'm new to optics and I'm wondering if there is something else in this price range that would be a more quality option?
I would look at the zeiss conquest in 2-20 at a good price !

In my opinion FFP scopes are worthless for hunting. On the lower powers the recticle is so small you can hardly see it!! Burris Full Field II scopes with the Ballistic Plex are one of the best buys on the market for the money. Get a 4.5-14x and go hunting.

There are a few ffp scopes that are hunting usable, but they cost. For 200 and in ffp is useless. No reason to range anything at those distances. You can range decently with just an A7 type reticle if you know the subtensions. Its not going to be a christmas tree with a tiny dot that you use at 700, but it will get pretty close with practice to 5 or 600.

new scopes have a ton of markup to go with that pretty box with all the pictures on it. the best money you will ever spend would be to search the classifieds for a used better quality scope and buy that. 300 bucks new will not buy you much quality - as in, slightly better than walmart quality.
600 bucks used will buy you a heck of a previous generation scope. 800 bucks used will get you in the range of former-alpha glass zeiss, kahles, R1/R2 meopta, SB etc. Just watch and wait.
New low end scopes with new coatings will not be as good as older high end scopes with previous gen coatings. case in point is the vastly overrated VX3i leupold.
If you find a Kahles or S&B used for $800, let me know. I will but it in a heartbeat.

In my opinion FFP scopes are worthless for hunting. On the lower powers the recticle is so small you can hardly see it!! Burris Full Field II scopes with the Ballistic Plex are one of the best buys on the market for the money. Get a 4.5-14x and go hunting.
Right. Worthless.

Well as an update I did purchase the vortex viper hs. I'm going to practice with it this off season and take it out west. I'll post details as to how I like it. The list will be coming from a guy who has never looked through a $1000 scope so keep that in mind. Thanks for all the help and discussion.

My buddy has an HS and its pretty impressive for 300, and nothing wrong with sfp plex to a little past mpbr if everything is set up correctly.

I have realized more and more that you can spend whatever you want on anything. But at what point does spending 5-10 times the amount equate to more meat in the freezer or more unforgettable memories. I'd rather spend $250 on a scope that does everything I want it to do and have the extra $1500 on a hunt with my dad that will last a lifetime than buy a sworo and let my rifle sit in the safe because I can't afford to hunt with it but have clearer glass. I'm the kind of guy who wants to fail because of something I did rather than my equipment failing. I've also started to really realize the what the true return on investment is when it comes to my hunting equipment and clothing. I have come to realize i don't need a $2000 scope and $500 pants to make awesome memories. Not that I wouldn't take either if I made more money. I guess I realized this playing softball with a guy who couldn't buy clothes for his kids but he had a $300 bat that he could hit some homers with. To each his own. If I can't make memories with my vortex I'll be the first to write a negative review.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts