optics opinion wanted

Travis1971

Hello, I recently purchased a savage 308 fcp-k, I'm look at using this at 600 yards max (not likely) and most likely around 300 or less. I want to put a half way decent scope on it. With that being said I dont want to over scope the gun or brake the bank doing so. I do not have a lot of experience with different optics, in the past I have used leopolds and nikon monarchs. I'm now considering the vortex viper for this gun but I have never used one, the only down side I have read is the eye relief and they are not as clear in low light as the nikons? I would consider other options in the same price range I'm sure there are others with a lot more experience then I.

I have a Vortex Viper 4-16x44HSLR and absolutely love it. It is the SFP model not the FFP and have had nothing but good experiences so far. The glass is crystal clear, the BDC reticle is nice and the adjustments are right on. You can also get a custom turret if you desire matched to a special load. If I had to do it over again there would no question as to what scope I would get.

+ 1 on Vortex. For that distance, go with a lower power, like 16 on the high end maximum plus eye relief won't be an issue then. It's the high mag scopes that have eye relief issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.