Optics on a budget?

ducky

So I'm building a 6mm Creedmoor rifle on a Savage action and Accustock, and I'm trying to find the right optic for hunting and range use. I have two budgets I'm concerned with weight and price. Right now my Creedmoor with suppressor and Burris Tactical 2 piece bases weighs about 4 oz shy of 8 lbs, and I'm trying to keep the rifle with optics at 10 lbs or less. So I'd like to keep my optic in the mid to low 20 oz range.

Now my budget for the optics is around $1500 max, but can go a little more. I'd like a 30 mm scope, FFP, 3-5X power on the bottom end, top end 15X+, zero stop or ability to add one, MIL adjustments, simple Mil Dot or Milling reticle like the Mil Quad. I'd also love a capped windage knob, but it isn't necessary. The scope that seems to check most if not all of boxes is the Vortex Razor LHT MRAD 3-15X42, but I read on here the best thing about Vortex in the warranty. I have experience with SWFA SS fixed powers and might just go the SS 3-15X42 route, but I've also been looking at the Athalon Midas Tac HD lineup but these scopes are on the heavy end of what I'm wanting. Then there is the Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18X44 which would really stretch my budget thin dollar wise but is within my weight range but at the top end as well.

I've been behind a few FFP scopes and know I'm going to probably like any of them set around 5-6X on the bottom power setting. I hate to say I'm old but since I can no longer wear contacts my "transition lenses" give me fits at lower magnifications seeing the reticle. I've been pretty much a die hard SS fixed power 6X and 10X shooter, and haven't ventured into variables really at all except for regular hunting scopes where I've used Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, and many more, but I haven't been a knob turner while hunting.

So I guess I'd like to hear opinions on these scopes and any I might have over looked.

The LHT isn't FFP so that's something to consider if your set on FFP. Check out either the bushnell LRHS if you want capped windage ( you will have to find one on the used market because they aren't made anymore) or the LRTS if you can live with open locking windage. Not sure if either of the reticles are exactly what your looking for but they fit the rest of your criteria pretty well.

Thank you, you're right it is a SFP scope. I was searching for FFP scopes and it came up as one on one of the web sites I was looking at. I guess they have it wrong in their filter function. Locking windage would work as well. I'm just real familiar with the Mil Quad reticle that SWFA uses and I like it better than a Horus style reticle.

Last edited:
Which do you like better? I'm trying to get this rifle finished before pronghorn season. I'm not going to make it to the WS until a late season cow hunt around Rangley in December.

My forum scouring during recent scope research confirmed your take on Vortex. I stuck with Leupold. For my money, A Lifetime Warranty that I don't need to use is way better than one that I do need to use. Never had a problem with Leupold scopes. Lots of reasonably priced used VXIII's available online.

My forum scouring during recent scope research confirmed your take on Vortex. I stuck with Leupold. For my money, A Lifetime Warranty that I don't need to use is way better than one that I do need to use. Never had a problem with Leupold scopes. Lots of reasonably priced used VXIII's available online.

I've had to send a few Leupold scopes back for warranty and repair, they are not without issue either. Like I said I've not been a turret twister with my Leupold optics, but for the most part they've reliably held zero.

Look into the Zeiss scopes. They are good on weight and glass. I don't know about which ones come with a mil reticle or ffp but they are great scopes. I put a v4 4-16x44 on my dad rifle and he and I both really like it. Red hawk rifles has good deals on demo scopes too.

So I'm building a 6mm Creedmoor rifle on a Savage action and Accustock, and I'm trying to find the right optic for hunting and range use. I have two budgets I'm concerned with weight and price. Right now my Creedmoor with suppressor and Burris Tactical 2 piece bases weighs about 4 oz shy of 8 lbs, and I'm trying to keep the rifle with optics at 10 lbs or less. So I'd like to keep my optic in the mid to low 20 oz range.

Now my budget for the optics is around $1500 max, but can go a little more. I'd like a 30 mm scope, FFP, 3-5X power on the bottom end, top end 15X+, zero stop or ability to add one, MIL adjustments, simple Mil Dot or Milling reticle like the Mil Quad. I'd also love a capped windage knob, but it isn't necessary. The scope that seems to check most if not all of boxes is the Vortex Razor LHT MRAD 3-15X42, but I read on here the best thing about Vortex in the warranty. I have experience with SWFA SS fixed powers and might just go the SS 3-15X42 route, but I've also been looking at the Athalon Midas Tac HD lineup but these scopes are on the heavy end of what I'm wanting. Then there is the Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18X44 which would really stretch my budget thin dollar wise but is within my weight range but at the top end as well.

I've been behind a few FFP scopes and know I'm going to probably like any of them set around 5-6X on the bottom power setting. I hate to say I'm old but since I can no longer wear contacts my "transition lenses" give me fits at lower magnifications seeing the reticle. I've been pretty much a die hard SS fixed power 6X and 10X shooter, and haven't ventured into variables really at all except for regular hunting scopes where I've used Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, and many more, but I haven't been a knob turner while hunting.

So I guess I'd like to hear opinions on these scopes and any I might have over looked.

Check out the ZEISS at Redhawk Rifles. Great guys, excellent service and in your state. redhawkrifles.com

Has the sport optics side of the business been sorted out at Zeiss? They got sold a while back and there were warranty and service issues last I looked at them.

Most Zeiss products are going to be well designed and well made but if it can't be serviced, its disposable.

Maybe that has been resolved but I would confirm that before buying.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts