Optics on a budget

Downhilldave

New member here,long time lurker. Just getting to a point where i have question that i cant find an answer to. live in sw Oklahoma but travel for work alot stuck in south east new mexico now. That being said there are OTC auodad tags out here and i am going after one. Where i hunt at home glassing isnt to hard so i dont have the optics i need to start this hunt. Looking for opinions on 3 things. Like i said new to glassing so may not be the best questions but gotta ask to find out.

1. I have good quality 8x42 binos to carry for quick not far work. For actually finding the animals. Spotter or high power binos? I was thinking 15 x 56 or something in that range obviously on a tripod. I have a lower quality spotter that i use at the range to see targets but dont think its what is needed here. Also seems like binos would be alot better for prolonged glassing sessions. Where should i put my money? Or both???

2. I am younger early 30s have worked my whole life and stay in pretty good shape. Got alittle belly but can handle weight on inclines. Already been doin alot of hiking out here to just get in the right kind of shape. Dont want to spend tons of cash on upper class new glass right now. Just not in the budget. With weight being out bc i think i can handle the added ounces or even lbs. how much has optics improved over the last 10 years or so. I bet there are lots of old spotters with big names on them that just sitting in closets and top shelves that are still awesome! But they arent the "new" thing so have been replaced. And where can i find those??

3. And the one i know will hackle feathers. How good is good enough? Seems like there are great optics getting reasonable priced. Cabelas has their euro home brand stuff that is very reasonable on price but does it hold up?? I have ziess binos now love them but i use them 100 plus days a year. These optics will be more like 15 days a years. But i would like them to last more than one hunting trip also.

I guess really i would like to hear yalls opinion on whats better old heavy glass that was top of the line in its day but as stated older now. Orrrr brand new ok quality?

You're going to get a ton of opinions, but here's mine. I have a pair of Swarovski 10x42's that I've had for 25 years. I sent them in a year ago, and had them upgraded to HD. They are very clear, and they have been my go-to carry glasses for many years.

In AZ, we do a lot of long-range glassing for hours. I was ready to spend $2300 for Swarovski 15x56 for tripod use. I looked through the Cabela's Euro 15x56 (Meopta's), and I really can't tell the difference. I got the Euro's on Black Friday for $1200, half the price for the Swarovski.

This is the good old days for optics. We have more choices for great glass than ever before. I just re-scoped my 30.06 with a Maven RS-1, and it's as good as a $2000 scope, for a lot less.

If you can afford the top tier glass, go for it. But the barely second tier glass today is really good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.