Optics Issues

baydogs

I currently shoot at 2 different ranges. One range is just a covered roof the other is fully indoors with 15' long lanes to the outside. I am having a hell of a time just at the indoor range.

What is happening has happened with multiple scopes and never at the outdoor range and looking for why its happening and how to fix it.

Typically I shoot on really bright days just cause those are the days I tend to pick to shoot. When I first sit down to shoot its not noticeable but over the course of the session normally pretty quickly my sight picture gets blurry. To the point I can't see my 1x1 gridlines and the diamonds start to blur. Somethings Ive tried to adjust are my eyes (went and got glasses minor astigmatism) thought it was my eyes, parallax adjustment, eye relief, turn on overhead lights turn them off. It normally is brutally bright outside, it it too much light washing it out? Is my eye fatiguing because of the light? Thoughts? Its ******* me off because this range is paid membership range and 15minutes away the next closest is 2.5 hrs away.

Thanks
TJ

Are you sure it is not barrel heat? Mirage off of a warm barrel can do that to you. Take a piece of poster board with you and cut it to the length of the barrel and maybe 3" wide. Use double sided tape to attach to the barrel. The poster board will keep the barrel heat from rising up right in front of the scope.

mirage off the barrel is a good reason for this. Something else you could try is to cover the objective with a piece of paper or tape and cut a smaller hole in the center. This acts like an aperture on a camera to let less light through.

I have had my eyes checked after the very first time this had happened. Now I shoot with my glasses every time. Funny thing is it doesn't happen when spotting in the field at all. And don't have any issue with hunting either.

Headed back this Monday to try this trick.

Thanks
TJ

mirage off the barrel is a good reason for this. Something else you could try is to cover the objective with a piece of paper or tape and cut a smaller hole in the center. This acts like an aperture on a camera to let less light through.

I will do.

I have had my eyes checked after the very first time this had happened. Now I shoot with my glasses every time. Funny thing is it doesn't happen when spotting in the field at all. And don't have any issue with hunting either.

Headed back this Monday to try this trick.

Thanks
TJ

Think the reason it doesn't happen in the outdoors is there is enough air flow to keep the mirage at bay. At the indoor range here is no wind at all and the mirage comes straight up off the barrel.

Think the reason it doesn't happen in the outdoors is there is enough air flow to keep the mirage at bay. At the indoor range here is no wind at all and the mirage comes straight up off the barrel.

Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.