Optics help

ofdscooby

I'm not an AR guy but I'm building a varmint rifle and need help mounting the scope. I see everyone using cantiliver mounts. Do I need to use one of these or is it just a cool AR thing? I would rather use the more accurate of the two for my mounts. If I go with individual style rings what height would I need for a 16 power with a 44mm bell?

From my experience the AR design makes it difficult to mount the scope far enough forward. The cantilever mount helps correct this.

There are reasons to use the cantilever mounts. Everyone else knows something you don't.

I'm not an AR guy but I'm building a varmint rifle and need help mounting the scope. I see everyone using cantiliver mounts. Do I need to use one of these or is it just a cool AR thing? I would rather use the more accurate of the two for my mounts. If I go with individual style rings what height would I need for a 16 power with a 44mm bell?

I thought the same way for a long time till I went through the headache myself trying to use regular picatinny rings to mount an SWFA SS 20x42 scope... The cantilever mounts are definitely the way to go.

Here's the one I use on my 6.5G and it is a VERY solid mount for the money. I actually ordered mine from Amazon, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009N24RN2/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Don't let the price fool you. Aesthetics are there, too. Very smooth lines once mounted up.

AR stocks are on the short side, so a scope with decent eye relief has to be mounted far forward. Generally the rear of the scope will be even with the back of the pistol grip or slightly forward. The cantilever mounts not only allow you to get the scope out there far enough for longer reliefe it also is high enough to get a good check weld and comfortable head placement. Another side bonus is that if you get a good one they are repeatable so you can remove them and place back on and not lose zero. This can be handy when you want different optic for different situations.

These two are my dads AR15s. As you can see there would be no way to mount these scopes far enough forward without a cantilever mount.

This is one of mine. You might be able to use standard style rings but you would need very high rings and would be right up against the turret.

here is a one piece non cantilever mount. it works with some scopes but not all. this is my daughters 277 WLV.

No you don't haven to, here's http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-wifes-ar-115037/

NOTE: I started with a Burris PEPR but it won't fit the scope (rings were too far apart) I picked for the rifle, the individual rings gave more flexibility.

Two Things about AR's

The stock is straight. No drop at the comb. The scope has to be mounted high. If I remember its about 1.5" above the rail (not bore) to scope centerline.

many people shoot an AR with their nose about touching the charging handle. For those that do this a cantilevered scope mount allows them to move the scope forward. If you are more traditional like me I mount my scopes much like I do on a bolt gun. Back of scope a little behind the charging handle.

As with most things different strokes for different folks. No right or wrong way. Just what works for you. Of course it can be expensive trying all the different mounting methods. I recommend you check some out before you buy.

I have many AR's and as has been already stated I prefer the cantilever mounts to get the scope farther forward for proper eye relief and I almost always use a EOP/high rise upper receiver or a weaver 20MOA rail to get the scope even higher because of the no drop in comb this makes getting behind the gun much more comfortable your not all scrunched up trying to see thru the scope which is ok for the guy that shoots infrequently and for short periods of time. I go to the range regularly and spend 4-6 hours shooting from 400 yards to 1000 yards being all scrunched up gets old.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.