Optics for hunting

I too would highly recommend Meopta for reasonable priced optics that perform above their asking price. Their Optika5 line is a 1" scope that offer a variety of variable powers and focal planes. I have several of their scopes and the optics are crystal clear and have help point of aim. They also have 30mm tubes on their Optika6 line and they are also reasonably priced with more bells and whistles.

I do dial for elevation and they have been great for me.

I third the Meopta recommendation. I had a Viper and sold it bc of the finicky eyebox and dark glass at higher magnification. I bought an Optika6 and a VX6, and the Meopta is so very close in glass as to be a moot point. I'm not a fan of the power ring on the Meopta bc it's bulk, but it's not a deal killer considering price.

I've been using a Leupold VX6 HD 3-18 50mm $2000 and I love it. I built a 7mm and installed the Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 4-20x50 $600, beautiful glass, I honestly can't say I like one over the other. I'm not afraid of spending money on a quality scope, but as we see there are a lot of great options.

I have a thread over on the 7stw page about the rife I'm putting together. Naturally that conversation went to optics. I thought I would move the optic discussion over here for more feedback.

About me- I am not a fan of big heavy scopes with tall turrets and illumination. It's just not my thing. I own several Burris Fullfield models and really like them all. I get the weird looks and comments at the range when I'm running a $1000+ rifle with a $200 scope. So I tried to upgrade and purchased a higher end Vortex and I hate it.

With all that- I would like to purchase a higher end scope around $500 for this rifle. I don't need all those bells and whistles listed above. I see some Swaro, and Zeiss stuff that I like but it's out of my budget.

I found some listings from Vixen that look interesting but they get mixed reviews. What should I look at and what is recommended?

Ideal something close to 3-15x44 is what I'm looking for.

I am a hardcore Leupold person, I have to have 15+ of them, some over 30+ years old, so......I do like Leupold. My son just did some research on scopes and found a company called ARKEN scope company. He bought one for his AR and now has one on his Ruger 10/22. He sent me a You Tube video on the scope getting torture tested, it seems to be really bullet proof and totally reliable. I will be buying one for my Ruger 77/22 in the very near future, they run around $400 for a 4-16 X 50 scope. The tracking on the scope is incredible and the zero lock is totally repeatable. He has the scope set up so that he is ranging his shots at 100, 200 and 300 yards, and then back to the zero lock at 100 yards. And the reticle is a lit reticle, a lot of scope for the money. This is just another suggestion for you to look at. This is not a million dollar scope, however I believe it is a good scope for the money. Here's a You Tube link for a torture test on this scope. Good luck with your new scope purchase. www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwKBTJ5DqT8

The Vortex I have is a Viper. I have had issues with it but I will say the customer service I have had from them is wonderful. Maybe I just got a bad egg.
I had a Viper HS 4-16x44. IMO, it was a legitimate $450 scope. Glass was very clear to me. Turrets worked. Reticle was great for what it was. In the end, I sold it because it was SFP.

I want ffp do I can get enough fov to see where the animal goes after the shot and still use the reticle. Saw mine boom flop yesterday at 300 yds. I was on 3x and just cranked it….probably shot at 6-8x.

I would get what you think you can put to use in the field. The scope drives a lot of activity. If you need to look at 8 things before the shot, maybe not worth it to you.

Also weight. I hate to go over 30oz, but the big scopes weigh a lot! I just say no over 30 oz.

I have a thread over on the 7stw page about the rife I'm putting together. Naturally that conversation went to optics. I thought I would move the optic discussion over here for more feedback.

About me- I am not a fan of big heavy scopes with tall turrets and illumination. It's just not my thing. I own several Burris Fullfield models and really like them all. I get the weird looks and comments at the range when I'm running a $1000+ rifle with a $200 scope. So I tried to upgrade and purchased a higher end Vortex and I hate it.

With all that- I would like to purchase a higher end scope around $500 for this rifle. I don't need all those bells and whistles listed above. I see some Swaro, and Zeiss stuff that I like but it's out of my budget.

I found some listings from Vixen that look interesting but they get mixed reviews. What should I look at and what is recommended?

I replied on the other thread too but if you like burris, check out the veracity. You can get a blem for the price range in your other post. I have 2 3-15's and 2 2-10's. You have to get 2-3x higher in price to match the glass in my opinion.

I've been using a Leupold VX6 HD 3-18 50mm $2000 and I love it. I built a 7mm and installed the Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 4-20x50 $600, beautiful glass, I honestly can't say I like one over the other. I'm not afraid of spending money on a quality scope, but as we see there are a lot of great options.
Second the Helos 4x20. Bright, consistent tracking, 'Circle of Death' reticle is fast at low magnifications. Made in China if that matters to you. Doug @ Cameraland can hook you up.

Most scopes at your price range will usually not track accurately when you start screwing on turrets but since you like Burris scopes here is one for you and its in your price range. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be great, maybe it was a good day in the Philippines or where ever it was assembled. To be fair, some of the more expensive Burris items are assembled in the US.

Typically scopes assembled in Japan, the US, or Europe will hedge your bet on tracking true. The Chinese/Philippines stuff is pretty hit and miss. Of course you can find anecdotal reports of things like Night Force and Leupold scopes failing to track. What you usually don't see from those reporting it is that those companies immediately made the device right for them.

Here's a nice Meopta in the classifieds-

All of my hunting rifles wear Leupold scopes, mainly older VXiii 2.5-10s with either heavy duplex or German #1 reticles and a custom dial or two. I also have a few VXRs in 3-9s. You could probably still find a VXR series scope on close out in your price range.

The perfect scope for your needs is probably the VX5hd 3-15x44. If you could save a little more they can often be found on sale for around $900 or less. There are also a few used ones floating around in your price range. I would not scrimp on optics. It in my opinion, is the most important part of the gun, next to the rings you mount it with. If your optic goes out your done. Why spend the money on a precision shooting iron and top it with a questionable optic?

You don't have to spend a grand or more there are tons of options out there for less than that. I like Leupold and have seen good results with them for over 35 yrs. When the shot needed to count I've never doubted them or had them fail.

That said the new kids on the block are Athlon and in your price point they offer the Midas HMR 2.5-15 that looks to be a good option. I am running several Midas BTRs and a Midas Tac on some of my long range and competition rifles and they have proven to be reliable and repeatable, but I haven't beat them through the woods. I also own a Cronus BTR and a Ares ETR. The glass is as good as any or better than most in their price points. They are good well made scopes.

I have a PM II and the glass in my Cronus is just as clear and precise as my S&B. The S&B which is 20 yrs old has a little better contrast but the Athlon is bright and clear. We have run the Athlon next to a NF Atacr and a Leupold Mark 5 and the glass is negligible at best. The Cronus BTR now graces my 338 and the PMII a 22.

The Athlon HMR should be a solid scope with everything your after and without all the fluff or tall turrets. That said, if you can swing it I would get the VX5 because of Leupold's quality and reputation in their upper end scopes. You'll have something you can always be proud of and you want have to upgrade later. The glass in the VX5 line is the same as the VX6 and Mark 5 glass.

3x15x50 burris Veracity is a great choice on your budget.

I too have a Vortex. I like it, but I like my Burris Veracity way better.

I have a Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 that I feel is a really solid scope for the money (400-500 bucks). That said, I really do like the several Bushnell Nitro FFP's that I have. I use them in conjuction with a set of BDX 3000 bino/rf and the BDX app and I get quick elevation dope and use the reticle without dialing.

Wow-
So much information. This site is absolutely the best. From my experience with Burris I want to lean that way but I have looked at the Meopta and they look great. That
4-20x44 looks awesome on paper. I'm going to attempt to find one in a store. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.