Optics for hunting

IndianaMatt

I have a thread over on the 7stw page about the rife I'm putting together. Naturally that conversation went to optics. I thought I would move the optic discussion over here for more feedback.

About me- I am not a fan of big heavy scopes with tall turrets and illumination. It's just not my thing. I own several Burris Fullfield models and really like them all. I get the weird looks and comments at the range when I'm running a $1000+ rifle with a $200 scope. So I tried to upgrade and purchased a higher end Vortex and I hate it.

With all that- I would like to purchase a higher end scope around $500 for this rifle. I don't need all those bells and whistles listed above. I see some Swaro, and Zeiss stuff that I like but it's out of my budget.

I found some listings from Vixen that look interesting but they get mixed reviews. What should I look at and what is recommended?

Ideal something close to 3-15x44 is what I'm looking for.

I have a thread over on the 7stw page about the rife I'm putting together. Naturally that conversation went to optics. I thought I would move the optic discussion over here for more feedback.

About me- I am not a fan of big heavy scopes with tall turrets and illumination. It's just not my thing. I own several Burris Fullfield models and really like them all. I get the weird looks and comments at the range when I'm running a $1000+ rifle with a $200 scope. So I tried to upgrade and purchased a higher end Vortex and I hate it.

With all that- I would like to purchase a higher end scope around $500 for this rifle. I don't need all those bells and whistles listed above. I see some Swaro, and Zeiss stuff that I like but it's out of my budget.

I found some listings from Vixen that look interesting but they get mixed reviews. What should I look at and what is recommended?

Scopes are one of those things "I" really have to try to make the best decision as others have a different vision. Go to your local gun store and try them out for yourselves. Good luck!

Also, contact @gr8fuldoug, and I am sure he would be more than happy to help you.

Last edited:
Scopes are one of those things "I" really have to try to make the best decision as others have a different vision. Go to your local gun store and try them out for yourselves. Good luck!

Also, contact @gr8fuldoug, and I am sure he would be more than happy to help you.
Different brains and bias too! LOL

Too bad you can't spring for the Leupold 3-15X44 VX5HD. I have two Burris FFIIs, have owned 20 some Burris scopes over the past 25yrs. Why not upgrade with Burris in the Signature HD line?

Side note: The FF II ocular bell magnification dialing is an absolute downfall in really cold temps. Last year in 10 F. temps I couldn't turn the ocular bell at all. Scope caps are a pain too on a bolt gun. The cap moves with the bell putting the flip out cover in the way of the bolt.

Too bad you can't spring for the Leupold 3-15X44 VX5HD. I have two Burris FFIIs, have owned 20 some Burris scopes over the past 25yrs. Why not upgrade with Burris in the Signature HD line?

Side note: The FF II ocular bell magnification dialing is an absolute downfall in really cold temps. Last year in 10 F. temps I couldn't turn the ocular bell at all. Scope caps are a pain too on a bolt gun. The cap moves with the bell putting the flip out cover in the way of the bolt.
Most of my "local" shops only stock Vortex these days. Hard to find anything else in my area on the shelf.

One local retailer has the Leupold VX 3i in stock. I have no experience with it but it is in my price range.

Most of my "local" shops only stock Vortex these days. Hard to find anything else in my area on the shelf.

One local retailer has the Leupold VX 3i in stock. I have no experience with it but it is in my price range.
If you do not plan on dialing, the VX3i 4.5-14 x 50 with the side parallax adj. and 30mm tube has been a good scope for me. Had it on a Sako 17HMR and a custom 7 WSM. IMHO, it was just as clear as a Swarovski z3 I had. I still have the Leupold.

Have you looked at the Athlon scopes? I have setup one for my Grandson, it was the Ares BTR Gen I series, it is a very nice and very clear scope. The Ares scope is more than what you want, plus it has the turret's and majority have illumination. Just another brand to look at, however, like you, I cannot afford to break the bank for a scope that cost as much or more than a Custom rifle. I am sure they are great, clear but if a 400.00 to 800.00 scope tracks perfectly from 100 to 1000 yards and back and is clear, maybe not as clear as a 2 to 3k scope I would rather save the extra dollars for something else. I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 with the bells and whistles of what I want and a Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 in 6-24x50 that I purchased from the gun builder at the time they built my rifle. Both to me are great scopes, but the extra dollars on the Viper PST is no different in my eyes than the 699 dollar Strike Eagle. They make one now that is a Venom series that is 5-25x56 without illumination for 499.00. I know you mentioned you do not like Vortex, not sure which model you looked at, but thought I would give my experience with the models I have used.

The Vortex I have is a Viper. I have had issues with it but I will say the customer service I have had from them is wonderful. Maybe I just got a bad egg.

Check Natchez web site - they have a Burris Veracity Rifle Scope - 3-15x50mm 30mm Ballistic E2 Reticle RFP for $450. Great buy on a great scope. I just got one for my STW - love it. I hesitated because of the 50 mm objective, and like you I prefer a smaller scope. But it actually is very nicely proportioned. It comes with capped turrets but all you have to do is call customer service and they will send you the M.A.D. turrets at N/C. I only used the MAD turret for elevation. You can get custom turrets made by Burris or adhesive strips from a couple of companies.