Optic for new shooter

Jackson3081

I have hunted with rifles-and loaded for them my entire life and had success out to 350 years just using Kentucky windage. However this last hunting season I had a trophy white tail (neighbor killed him 141") that was outside of my range of comfort and rather than chunk one his way in hopes of hitting it, I passed and my neighbor got him the next morning. After having this happened I have gone to several shooting completions and made friends with one guy in particular. He told me the best way for me to learn how compensate for elevation and windage would be to get 223 or a 308 and shoot in conditions. He says this will make me miss and I will learn from it better than buying the latest and greatest caliber and "chasing spotters". After asking multiple others at these 600-1000 yard matches they all basically say the same and one member had a rifle that seems to be set up well for me learn on. It is a Remington 700 20" with a krieger 1:10 bedded in a fiber glass stock. The man I bought it from says it shoots better than 3" groups at 600 and I watched him do it several times shooting 185 grain berger bullets. He gave me the recipe. My only issue is I have already paid $1500 for the rifle dies bullets etc, I still need a scope. I asked him what to get he very adamantly said nightforce or mark 5 leupold.

For the task of learning this game by that through shooting at my property (putting a berm up at 450 yards) and matches what optics would be sufficient for someone that's relatively new to shooting this long range game? At this pop but i have looked at nightforce shv, nx8, and leupold mark 5. I don't mind to pay for a good repeatable scope but components are high and right now I can barley find anything. Any help would be appreciated

For what you have described a 2.5-10 Nightforce might be a good one. Plenty of magnification for 450 yards ( I've used mine shooting small targets to 835 yards) turrets that are accurate and reliable, decent glass and reasonable price. I recently paid 1600$ for a new one. Watch the classifieds here on LRH. You can usually find a 5.5-22 NXS for 1500-1800.

Go to the forums directory and find optics for sale. You can post an ill take it at asking price and pm the seller or pm and make an offer. I believe there's rules and suggestions posted to the forum.

You got some great recommendations on nightforce and mark 5. If you're not worried about weight then either of those will be great to learn with. I might get flamed for this but I would probably try it out a bit more before you go drop $1500 into an optic you might not want to keep. Nightforce SHV have good reviews. The 4-14 would be my pick, maybe a leupold Vx5 3-15 would save you some money. Or you can buy once and cry once and get a mark 5 or NXS or nx8.

For what you have described a 2.5-10 Nightforce might be a good one. Plenty of magnification for 450 yards ( I've used mine shooting small targets to 835 yards) turrets that are accurate and reliable, decent glass and reasonable price. I recently paid 1600$ for a new one. Watch the classifieds here on LRH. You can usually find a 5.5-22 NXS for 1500-1800.
What about the 3-10x42 SHV?

Vortex has some really nice glass for the money.
There are all kinds of better scopes, but you have to ask yourself, do I know why it is better.

I would strongly suggest you determine a reasonable optics budge for you for now. 450 yards is not a challenge for most scopes. You could shoot and dial that satisfactorily with a 3-9x Leupold VX3i.

Once you determine your reasonable budget, I would look at the Vortex Viper PST II line, the Athlon Ares BTR, Meopta Optika 6, Bushnell several models, Athlon Cronus, etc. The Cronus is still on a good sale right now at Cameraland, I believe.

To someone, I'm sure the Leupold Mark 5 is great. The Nightforce models are always really good, Kahles, Tangent Theta, March, Schmidt & Bender, etc all great, but can you tell? Can you use their greatness? Will you care? IMO, a person is better to start cheap and learn why the are making each step.

There are all kinds of better scopes, but you have to ask yourself, do I know why it is better.

I would strongly suggest you determine a reasonable optics budge for you for now. 450 yards is not a challenge for most scopes. You could shoot and dial that satisfactorily with a 3-9x Leupold VX3i.

Once you determine your reasonable budget, I would look at the Vortex Viper PST II line, the Athlon Ares BTR, Meopta Optika 6, Bushnell several models, Athlon Cronus, etc. The Cronus is still on a good sale right now at Cameraland, I believe.

To someone, I'm sure the Leupold Mark 5 is great. The Nightforce models are always really good, Kahles, Tangent Theta, March, Schmidt & Bender, etc all great, but can you tell? Can you use their greatness? Will you care? IMO, a person is better to start cheap and learn why the are making each step.
Wanting to shoot out to 600 at a local range. But my land will be 450 max. A friend has 1000 but that will be invite only. My desire for a better scope is reliability of tracking and from what I understand higher quality glass will allow me to read conditions better. I have shot out to 450 on 2 liter bottles with my 270 and a 3.5-10 Boone and crocket leupold. Wanting the next step up from that.... maybe SHV?

Call Doug at Cameraland. He will point you in the right direction. Personally, I would get the Bushnell LRTS before they sell out. One of the best dialers out there for the money. $749.00 on sale right now. I am putting one on a 280ai build I am putting together right now.The LRTS, DMR II, and LRHS are awesome repeatable scopes with a great rep for RTZ and accurate long range dialing.
Or, you can spend more from there. If you plan on dialing, N.F. are up there for repeatability.

You could get the SHV. I wouldn't. I don't particularly like the reticle in that optic. I'd rather have a good enough optic with a reticle I like. I traded for the Vortex PST Gen II 5-25x. Optics are fine. Turrets are good enough. I like the reticle....it's better than the one I had before.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.