Optic for my son's first rifle

I'd say a good 3x9 or similar power would be good. But the problem is dialing adds to the cost. Probably something with either locks or caps would be best.

Here in the mountains of Western NC we seldom get shots greater than 200 yards! But I hunt flatlands of Eastern NC and elsewhere as well! I started my son hunting with a 30-30 Marlin and a 4x Weaver scope, which he's killed several deer with. Now he's passed that rifle on to his teenage son, and I gifted my son my 44 Mag Marlin lever action with 6x Bushnell, which he always wanted. They both also shoot LR bolt actions with me at the range. I have a couple nice bolt actions for them in the near future. Enjoy shooting with your son, but keep it simple to start with.

For same price range and weight, you will have to find something used in order to find anything comparable. I don't think anyone makes a scope as light in that price range. as well as the same power range The closest that I can think of are the Swaro z3 or habicht 3-9x36 and vortex razor lh 1.5-8x32. You might find the vortex for around $400 where as the swaro will be somewhere in the $600. I picked up a swaro 3-10x42 habicht fro $450 used. Its about 3oz heavier than the swfa.