opti-logic rangefinders

Preda8or

these rangefinders have a angle compensation built in.Has anyone used one or know anything about them.

I played with an 800m model at a shoot and got consistant readings to 695m on trees.

If you hang on a couple of weeks, Mr. Murphy is supposed to have me in his shop to check it all out. Just need to give him a call.
smile.gif

i just joined when i saw the messages on our rangefinders. Dr. Murphy is one of the two founders of the company. I will be pleased to try to answer any questions you may have concerning our rangefinders. BTW we now have a 1000 yard unit.

as you can imagine, it's hard enough to see a target at 1000 yards-let alone range it, but if you can see it (and it's large enough of course) we can hit it. if you're interested in how we do it, just ask.

regards, to all

Mike Hammel

Great questions!
1. distance. it's dependent on the "quality" of the target. there's no clear-cut answer and it's difficult for us manufacturers to put an actual number on it-that's why it's always vague and nebulus (sp?). The IR beam of all consumer grade rangefinders, diverges as it leaves the rangefinder (sorry to get techie on you). if the targeted object is large (say deer size) a 600 yard rangefinder "should" be able to hit it at about 400 yards or so. it's reflectance is high enough to get energy back to the rangefinder. but since the fur is diffusing the IR light, it might not reflect enough light. a black bear-albeiit larger-probably would not under the same conditions. a 1000 yard rangefinder may do better but again, it's dependent on the target and the amount of light reflecting off that target.

As far as Opti-Logic Corp products go, they are not back illuminated, nor are they magnified or "thru the lens". the reason is: better viewing functionality. Yes we realize that it is a bit less desireable to take the unit away from your face to see data, when you range something. but since we're not thru the lens nor magnifed, you'll see the target much better in subdued light. our system is a red dot concept. you press the fire button, put the red dot on the target, release the button and it fires (so to speak). the clarity and visibility is superior to those that have thru the lens targeting since we don't have all the interference of optics.

I hope that answered your questons. i'll be happy to try to answer others if you have them.

let me also mention at this point, we are the ONLY manufacturer that puts tilt compensation in our consumer rangefinders. this feature (XT and LH models)give a display of the HORIZONTAL distance, not just the "line of sight" distance that all others give. It very suitable for Archers and Riflemen alike. remember: all your sights and scopes are calibrated on the horizontal. shoot up hill or down hill and horizontal distance measurements will give you corrected information.
smile.gif

Mike,
I visited your site but the specs seemed a little thin. Then again I probly missed them
rolleyes.gif
. My big question is the display lit or back lit for night or low light applications?

Thanks, Cheers
cool.gif

Mike,
Forgive me for being ignorant, I down loaded the instruction file but my Adobe crapped out
frown.gif
so I can't read the specs.
If I understand you, the veiwing system is purely optical w/ no display screen in side? The display is mounted along side the eye peice? The display doesn't have a mode for low light/no light situations kinda like the light button on a digital watch? Not trying to be difficult just trying to get a mental visual of what the back side looks like.

Thanks & Cheers
cool.gif

Mike,

What is the beam divergence on the Opi-Logic LRF compared to the Leica 1200? Also, the angle compensator feature, is that just giving you the cosine angle distance? Or is it giving you the actual corrected angle distance? There is a difference and I'm curious.

The cosine angle distance would be fine for archery shooters, but would not work well for long range rifle shooting at angles greater than say 20 degrees.

Thanks for your help

frown.gif
frown.gif

Sorry to rant, but this frustrates me about these new companies that pop up.

Mike Hammel from Opti-logic seemed eager to help and answer questions, until someone (which was me) started to ask specific and technical questions about their new product. Then there's silence. I gave him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he or they went on vacation or were out on business.

I figure his/there silence is something they wish not to talk about and hope we would go away.

My thoughts, stay with the best and buy a Leica 1200 or another reputable range finder.

Sorry to rant, but I feel better now.

Have a great weekend everyone!
frown.gif
frown.gif

whoa fellas. I'm not upset by the comment but defensive. I do not monitor this, or other BBS's. On occassion i try to follow up. But in my own defense,

I'll try to answer any question and if i do not have the answer, i'll make every effort to get it.

I can also be reached "back door". the sales email address is first seen by me, then I pass it on as appropriate. that's our life (business) so i'm there ALL the time!

WRT the angle. the precision is .2 degrees accuracy is 1 degree.(however please keep in mind that this is not a $3K Hypsometer or a $10K Survey instrument)

Divergence is important-obviously. the further away, the greater divergence and therefore the less accurate the angle measurement will be.

the following was taken from our front page (index.htm):
Mode 3: Measures height in feet, meters, or yards with accuracy of +/- one foot (+ 0.5% of reading).

Mode 4: Measures angle in degrees or percent grade with a resolution of +/- 0.2 degrees.

The following was taken from our Industrial Rangefinder page (/industrial_rangefinder.htm):

Vertical Axis -- 3.5mrad half-angle divergence;
Horizontal Axis -- 1mrad half-angle divergence;

again however let me remind you that we're the only one with the tilt compensation mode (in the Sports Optics market). Leica is well respected and makes a very fine product. we're proud to compete with them. The others, oh well (IMHO) .

Oh, yes. you should be able to hit a deer at 600 yards with all the 1000 yard models.

have i left anything out? if so, let me know please (but do it by email if you need a rapid response).

Regards!
grin.gif

oh sorry. I forgot an important issue raised. Through the lens and backlighting.

when you put "through-the-lens" optics in a unit you loose visual resolution (approx. 4% light loss per surface). AND with magnificaton, it makes steadying the shot more difficult yet. because there is light loss, viewing in subdued light becomes more difficult. Those are some of the reasons we do not have amplified, "Through-the-lens" viewing. Are we cognicent of the fact that it's a marketing tool? of course. will we do it? eventually, when we can do "right".

now to Backlighting. Backlighting uses battery power and costs money to add. Will we have it? Yes. When? we hope very soon but for now you can see this in ALMOST all lighting conditions. again, when we do it, it will be RIGHT. I assure you.

I'll add more after I re re reread the thread
wink.gif

Mike,

I owe you an apology and you have my apologies. Thanks for checking in and answering my questions. We sometimes get folks promoting their products but when certain questions are asked, we never hear back from them.

Again, thanks for coming back in and answering my questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.