Opnion on 45x vs 55x benchrest scope power

Bob the nailer

I am considering boosting my Weaver T36 scope to 55x, I've been trying to find bench shooters opnions on likes and dislikes of ultra high mag optics. This will sit on my 63lb 300 Weatherby Magnum, I have read 45x is more than enough power for 1000yards however this game is about small groups. I know mirage and smaller field of view go with higher power, just wonder what others shoot.

300win.jpg
This is an older picture of the 300 Weatherby when it had a Leupold.

That's a beautiful rifle. I hope you have done well with it. Have you ever come in to Williamsport, PA to compete? You may want to try your question on accurateshooter.com. They are more dedicated to benchrest than on this sight.

Tank

I use a 12-42x56 nightforce and it does great, it does magnify mirage but ya learn to read it, next spring I am going to swap to my 10-50x60 Sightron and see how it goes, also on a 68# 300wby.

I'll check out that site, thanks for the link. As for groups since I am in-between scopes right now last Friday I mounted a Tasco Target Silhouette 36x with a Tucker reticule lock. Only went out to the 100yard mark and those 190grain MK's printed very nice!

300 weatherby.jpg

I'm surprised your not using 210 bergers or 208 hornady vlds., is that on a pre 64 mod 70 action? Can't see it real well in the pic.

Funny you ask that......it was built in the 50's I think not really sure. Currently this is the second Hart 31" barrel, the rifle was built in PA. then shipped to CA. now MI. It's a M98 Mauser, trued and tuned to shoot.

300win 1.jpg

with Have you ever come in to Williamsport, PA to compete?
Tank

I don't shoot competition just casual for hobby. Would like to make it over to PA some day to check out the Williamsport range. :) I am shoting the 190's becaues they are a good load combo for ths rig. Some day when I have extra fun money I would like to pick up a custom action to build on, until then this old vintage 300 does just fine.

Kinda leaning tward the 55x boost....however the 45x boost is $100.00 less.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.