opinions wanted....savage in 6.5 creed moor or 338 Lapua?

57goldtopman

Hello,

I am new to this forum...I have enjoyed reading and learning from posts on this site.
I am currently on deployment overseas and will be back in a couple months. when I return I will be purchasing one of these rifles for hunting (small to heavy game), target, long range, etc. basically trying to set up a rifle to do most of what I want. not perfect for everything but good enough for most. I prefer to be a 1 rifle guy. learn to use it well.
my previous rifles have ranged from a Ruger 6mm rem, 300RUM sendero, custom 458 win mag. I reload and enjoy the flexibility of the different cartridges. my last rifle was the Sendero. during that time I really wished I had the 338 RUM rather than 300. because I liked the large efficient bullets and because....just because.
I have done quite a bit of reading lately. I do not want to order a custom rifle. looking to get off the shelf rifle. heard very good things about the accuracy of the savage. so that is the way I wish to go. so, my current 2 choices are the Savage 12 Long Range Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor or the Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in 338 Lapua.
trying to research both of these has been somewhat difficult. most posts deviate way to far from the original topic. I am not looking for other cartridge ideas or other rifle ideas . if there are real positives or negatives to each I would like to hear them...not over exaggerations like the 338 will blow up deer, or 6.5 is too small. looking for accurate info.
currently I am leaning toward the 338. yes I already know of the costs of the ammo and reloading supplies. I have investigated both reloading wise.

any thoughts to better help me decide from experienced shooters will be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I am new to this forum...I have enjoyed reading and learning from posts on this site.
I am currently on deployment overseas and will be back in a couple months. when I return I will be purchasing one of these rifles for hunting (small to heavy game), target, long range, etc. basically trying to set up a rifle to do most of what I want. not perfect for everything but good enough for most. I prefer to be a 1 rifle guy. learn to use it well.
my previous rifles have ranged from a Ruger 6mm rem, 300RUM sendero, custom 458 win mag. I reload and enjoy the flexibility of the different cartridges. my last rifle was the Sendero. during that time I really wished I had the 338 RUM rather than 300. because I liked the large efficient bullets and because....just because.
I have done quite a bit of reading lately. I do not want to order a custom rifle. looking to get off the shelf rifle. heard very good things about the accuracy of the savage. so that is the way I wish to go. so, my current 2 choices are the Savage 12 Long Range Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor or the Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in 338 Lapua.
trying to research both of these has been somewhat difficult. most posts deviate way to far from the original topic. I am not looking for other cartridge ideas or other rifle ideas . if there are real positives or negatives to each I would like to hear them...not over exaggerations like the 338 will blow up deer, or 6.5 is too small. looking for accurate info.
currently I am leaning toward the 338. yes I already know of the costs of the ammo and reloading supplies. I have investigated both reloading wise.

any thoughts to better help me decide from experienced shooters will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy ... and thanks for your service to our great nation.

Those are great choices; pick one that you can live with the consequences associated with your decision ... you know yourself best and its intended purpose(s).

Good luck!

Attachments

• 10469232_10203758273824012_2889136760394505188_n.jpg
    10469232_10203758273824012_2889136760394505188_n.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 74
I do like the model 12, however according to their catalog, the only models the 6.5-284 is offered in are the bench rest or ft/r models. nothing portable. I do love the 6.5-284 cartridge though. only portable versions available are the Long Range Hunter and the Weather warrior. nothing else in the higher end rifle. I did try to contact Savage. I never got a reply. not sure what the custom shop would do.

Another option, since you like the 6.5x284, is to pick up the parts and put one together yourself. That way you get a semi-custom and an even better barrel. Give Jim Briggs a call at Northland.

7mm STW with 180gr Bergers or a .300 Ackley with 210-215gr Bergers moving over 3K fps should take down just about anything at distances over 1,000 yards.

And you can open up a factory 7mmRM chamber to 7mm STW, or a .300 WinMag or .300 Wby chamber up to .300 Ackley with no problem. :D

Hello,

..... I am not looking for other cartridge ideas or other rifle ideas . .....

I must be the one of the few that actually caught this part :cool:

The Creed' is a sweatheart of a cartridge. It offers inherent accuracy, good bore life, very solid ballistic performance & is very easy on the handloaders wallet.

The Lapua offers incredible ballistic performance & FAR superior terminal performance. All of which come at a cost. The Lapua will most likely go south on you sooner (bore wise), handloading is going to x2 your cost & at least x2 on the recoil side.

If you are not going to be a dedicated ELR shooter or an annual LR Elk slayer. I have got to vote Creedmoor here. If you're looking for the added "Bad ***" factor & the overall wow-factor offered by the Lapua, there ain't nuthin' wrong with that!

t

Creed! You will love shooting it, and that makes for a more confident, proficient operator.
Also excellent factory ammo that is cheap and will let you shoot more and reload less.

I must be the one of the few that actually caught this part :cool:

The Creed' is a sweatheart of a cartridge. It offers inherent accuracy, good bore life, very solid ballistic performance & is very easy on the handloaders wallet.

The Lapua offers incredible ballistic performance & FAR superior terminal performance. All of which come at a cost. The Lapua will most likely go south on you sooner (bore wise), handloading is going to x2 your cost & at least x2 on the recoil side.

If you are not going to be a dedicated ELR shooter or an annual LR Elk slayer. I have got to vote Creedmoor here. If you're looking for the added "Bad ***" factor & the overall wow-factor offered by the Lapua, there ain't nuthin' wrong with that!

t

Nailed it. Another vote for the creed. Just more of a pleasure to shoot

Another vote for the Creedmoor here. Its such a pleasure to shoot. It has very light recoil and is inherently a very accurate round. It capable of taking anything from deer to elk sized game.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.