Opinions Wanted On Barreled Action Finish

Started a new hunting rifle build project and asking for opinions of what colors or finish on barreled action.
I grabbed up a beautiful gloss blue "C" SN Rem 700 action that I'm having a stainless barrel spun up on.
I already have a couple of long range bench type rifles with blued receiver with stainless barrels.
I already have a couple hunting rifles that were coated all graphite black or other color.
I really like the all graphite black color but thinking of something different.

I will have a shallow depth, spiral, slow twist flute pattern done on the #4 barrel for looks alone.
I just want to make it look nice and not sure which direction to go on the finish.

Should I ruin the beautiful blued receiver look with coating or leave it gloss and only do the barrel or what?
Tell me what you think would look really nice.
Pics of your favorite won't hurt either!

Thanks ahead!
I had a rifle rebarreled and fluted. Did a cerakote finish in burnt bronze with black accents. The fluting, trigger and bolt were all black with the rest being the burnt bronze. I like it.

I had a rifle rebarreled and fluted. Did a cerakote finish in burnt bronze with black accents. The fluting, trigger and bolt were all black with the rest being the burnt bronze. I like it.
That is the one color that has tempted me but I have not pulled the trigger yet

I really do not like coatings that make the rifle look painted it cheapens it in my opinion
2336D653-A9C1-4021-9F43-9BB8AEBBD30C.gif

I've always thought those colors looked good as well. Was afraid to try em and miss the color coordination and mess it up though! lol
Some rifle makers have nice combos. Christensen Arms and a few others for example.

Just thought of my first colored rifle attempt!
Took an olive green rattle can to the entire youth model 243 SPS and tried to camo by touching up with other colors.
That was ugliest darned thing...but did the job.

I agree! I really like the beauty of the older bluing. I'm beginning to think I'll keep it like it is and paint the stainless barrel or at least blast the sheen off.
A good bead blast will take care of that I'm not saying I'm totally against painting metal some look pretty good some just look painted I prefer a metal finish some require more maintenance but I think it is worth it

Last edited:
A good bead blast will take care of that I'm not saying I'm totally against painting metal some look pretty good some just look painted I just prefer a metal finish some require more maintenance but I think it is worth it
I said paint... I should have said Cerakote. But yeah... the least maintenance the better in the long run.

Another 2 cents worth. I also have a Winchester Laredo I picked up a few years ago. Action is factory blued with the barrel cerakoted with a silver color. Looks like a dull stainless. Looks nice without the shine and as you probably know the cerakote is very durable. Kind of sounds like I'm a salesman for cerakote. LOL!!! Just like the product for the many options and its durability.

I really like the all graphite black color but thinking of something different.
I just had my Winchester 70 action done in e-100 blackout. It is a really nice black with a bit of gloss to it.

Should I ruin the beautiful blued receiver look with coating or leave it gloss and only do the barrel or what?
I would coat it, but be prepared for some to rub off quick, unless something gets refit/polished on the action. Mine kind of bothers me, but it is a working tool.

I assume this rifle is for Hunting, as well as for fun shooting. If so, satin finishes lessen the reflected glare. Flat finishes even more. Then comes camo finishes, and soft hazy color patches and patterns. For most effectiveness, it should mimic the vegitation of the area you hunt. You do use camo, right?!?