Opinions Wanted On Barreled Action Finish

Roughrice

Started a new hunting rifle build project and asking for opinions of what colors or finish on barreled action.
I grabbed up a beautiful gloss blue "C" SN Rem 700 action that I'm having a stainless barrel spun up on.
I already have a couple of long range bench type rifles with blued receiver with stainless barrels.
I already have a couple hunting rifles that were coated all graphite black or other color.
I really like the all graphite black color but thinking of something different.

I will have a shallow depth, spiral, slow twist flute pattern done on the #4 barrel for looks alone.
I just want to make it look nice and not sure which direction to go on the finish.

Should I ruin the beautiful blued receiver look with coating or leave it gloss and only do the barrel or what?
Tell me what you think would look really nice.
Pics of your favorite won't hurt either!

Thanks ahead!

Is it possible to do a chemical color case harden treatment on SS? That's what I'd do

Started a new hunting rifle build project and asking for opinions of what colors or finish on barreled action.
I grabbed up a beautiful gloss blue "C" SN Rem 700 action that I'm having a stainless barrel spun up on.
I already have a couple of long range bench type rifles with blued receiver with stainless barrels.
I already have a couple hunting rifles that were coated all graphite black or other color.

I will have a shallow depth, spiral, slow twist flute pattern done on the #4 barrel for looks alone.
I just want to make it look nice and not sure which direction to go on the finish.

Should I ruin the beautiful blued receiver look with coating or leave it gloss and only do the barrel or what?

Thanks ahead!
This boils down to your personal preference.

Don't know... never did anything like that.
I thought of just putting a bead blast on the barrel to dull the shine and leave the receiver alone.

This boils down to your personal preference.
Yes, I agree. But I have lots of different configurations and thought I may do something different and was hoping someone may have done something with a finish that I don't have.
Simple would be bead blast the shine off the barrel and roll on which, if I can't come up with something else, I'll do...again.

Yes, I agree. But I have lots of different configurations and thought I may do something different and was hoping someone may have done something with a finish that I don't have.
Simple would be bead blast the shine off the barrel and roll on which, if I can't come up with something else, I'll do...again.
That is why it is called personal preference. "I" am not a fan of spiral fluting on barrels and like to keep mine simple. I do, however, like them on bolts.

That is why it is called personal preference. "I" am not a fan of spiral fluting on barrels and like to keep mine simple. I do, however, like them on bolts.
I don't like deep flutes... especially high twist rate spiral. I have an older model BOTW rifle with the shallow spiral fluting I described and is to me just enough to grab the eye and looks good.
I'll probably get hammered by mentioning the BOTW rifle! HaHa!

Not sure if this is what you have in mind, but I wanted to do something a little 'different' with the last Savage build I completed. It had a blued receiver and stainless Shilen barrel and I had the entire barreled action (and rings) Cerakote finished in Blue Titanium (H-185) and the bolt handle/rear baffle finished in Graphite Black (H-146).
C4C34888-063A-4933-AE0E-DAEA0EC848DC.jpeg

C4C943C1-A7DE-4EC1-BDD9-B7B5FF9A7810.jpeg

Looks nice! The coating guy showed me Blue Titanium on a hand gun but haven't seen it on a rifle.
I have one done in Wolf Grey receiver and Graphite Black barrel that looks good.
Is that an A5 stock?
Thanks

Thank you, Sir. That's just a Bell & Carlson Varmint/Tactical stock. I'm thinking of maybe 'Zombie Green' (H-168) for the next 'something different'. 😉

Thanks ahead!
Blued what is wrong with the beautiful bluing I really do not like coatings that make the rifle look painted it cheapens it in my opinion

Recent Posts