Opinions-> Swaro 12x NL Pure vs 15x SLC

-Cross Posted since I didn't get any comments in the optics section-

Hey guys, looking for your opinions on a bino splurge I'm about to make on either the 12x NL Pures or the 15x SLC, and I can't make up my dang mind. I'm aware of the FOV differences but I'd like additional options on for and against...

I'm an Idaho hunter who will be pretty much exclusively out west. I will basically always have a tripod with me for my 25-50x spotter. I may bow hunt on occasion, to the extent that that is a factor. I'm not wild about the $700 difference but I feel strongly about having great glass out here and want a pair that I'll be happy with for a long time.

appreciate any thoughts/opinions you guys might have on these binos; thanks!
I'm in AZ and run my 15 SLC's for glassing off a tripod, have my Swaro 20-60x80HD Spotter in my backpack for when I need to get a good look at Coues deer probably 1,400 yards and over, and have 10x42 EL's around my neck for when I need to glass freehand. I tried carrying the 15's around my neck a few times to save weight but just too bulky, heavy, and just can't freehand. I would love the 8 or 10x42 NL's around my neck to save weight and bulk, but can't justify the $ right now.

I recently went through a similar dilemma wanting to upgrade my 15x56 SLC's non HD's and was looking at 12x50 EL's or 12x42 NL's. I've ran my 15x56 SLC NON HD's since 2006 for tripod glassing and been very successful and loved them. I recently compared my buddy's 12x50 EL's and 12x42NL's to my 15's. The EL's sure are nice and crisp and the NL's are a bit better with more FOV than even the 12x50EL's. In the end I upgraded my NON HD 15x56 with the HD 15x56 over the 12's and glad I stuck with 15's. If you have 15's, in my opinion you absolutely have to have a pair of 8's or 10's around your neck in addition. The 12's would be a decent compromise for a one pair do all if you were backpacking way in and trying to save every ounce. The 12's for me are kinda hard to freehand, especially while bow hunting and trying the freehand with one hand.

On Coueswhitetail.com and rockslide.com (mainly Western hunters) I read many threads that many people missed the magnification dropping to 12's and I am in the same boat. I definitely would have missed the magnification as well. I glass anywhere from 200 yards to a few miles with my 15's and never once felt like it was too much magnification. Ymmv.

Check out Cameralandny, (sponsor here) call and tell Doug you're a forum member and ask for his best price, he'll save you some scratch.

I'm in AZ and run my 15 SLC's for glassing off a tripod, have my Swaro 20-60x80HD Spotter in my backpack for when I need to get a good look at Coues deer probably 1,400 yards and over, and have 10x42 EL's around my neck for when I need to glass freehand. I tried carrying the 15's around my neck a few times to save weight but just too bulky, heavy, and just can't freehand. I would love the 8 or 10x42 NL's around my neck to save weight and bulk, but can't justify the $ right now.

I recently went through a similar dilemma wanting to upgrade my 15x56 SLC's non HD's and was looking at 12x50 EL's or 12x42 NL's. I've ran my 15x56 SLC NON HD's since 2006 for tripod glassing and been very successful and loved them. I recently compared my buddy's 12x50 EL's and 12x42NL's to my 15's. The EL's sure are nice and crisp and the NL's are a bit better with more FOV than even the 12x50EL's. In the end I upgraded my NON HD 15x56 with the HD 15x56 over the 12's and glad I stuck with 15's. If you have 15's, in my opinion you absolutely have to have a pair of 8's or 10's around your neck in addition. The 12's would be a decent compromise for a one pair do all if you were backpacking way in and trying to save every ounce. The 12's for me are kinda hard to freehand, especially while bow hunting and trying the freehand with one hand.

On Coueswhitetail.com and rockslide.com (mainly Western hunters) I read many threads that many people missed the magnification dropping to 12's and I am in the same boat. I definitely would have missed the magnification as well. I glass anywhere from 200 yards to a few miles with my 15's and never once felt like it was too much magnification. Ymmv.

Check out Cameralandny, (sponsor here) call and tell Doug you're a forum member and ask for his best price, he'll save you some scratch.
Ditto this exactly. 10X42's on the neck, 15X56 and 20-60X80 in the pack at all times. Do not get 15's if you only want one bino.

Used to hunt with original 15x vortex bino. Did great, but came across 10x42el range for half price and dont use 15x anymore. The lighter weight and increased clarity is better.

Got a btx 50mm spotter last year, after using it for few week of elk hunting. Thought something was wrong with the 10x42el range because I could see much more glass imperfections. Can see more with swarovision but there is still imperfections.

Never used a NL bino.

Great write-up thanks. I have some wiggle room since I'll have a family member with me half the time so theoretically could have somebody carry another pair of binos-but to drop the kind of cash on a Swaro either SLC or NL I hate the idea of that bino not being able to shine in any situation.

do you feel like you would find game with the 15s that you wouldn't with 12s? Like I said, my system currently is spot game with the 12s and use my spotter to field judge. I would envision the same system with 15s

Great write-up thanks. I have some wiggle room since I'll have a family member with me half the time so theoretically could have somebody carry another pair of binos-but to drop the kind of cash on a Swaro either SLC or NL I hate the idea of that bino not being able to shine in any situation.

do you feel like you would find game with the 15s that you wouldn't with 12s? Like I said, my system currently is spot game with the 12s and use my spotter to field judge. I would envision the same system with 15s
Yes, I feel I find more game with my 15's than I would with 12's. Have used them side by side and look through a buddy's 12's while we're out hunting. He swears by his 12's but I always find a lot more game LOL.

There are plenty of times where I pick up a leg, an ear, or some other odd part of an animal that just doesn't look like it belongs behind or through a bush. Magnification is very important there. Another buddy sold his 15's and his BTX setup and bought a set of twin Swaro HD 65mm spotters mounted together for big eyes and uses those to glass at around 25 power and up. He loves his over both the 15's and BTX. I was considering going that route too but it's a lot of money, and bulk.

Last edited:
I run the 15s off a tripod only as they're too big to use as a chest type bino and with that magnification you can't hold them still enough. I also carry a compact pair of the Minox high end German 10's that are very light on my chest harness. I've used the 12s and 15s and like the 15's for my type of hunting. I prefer the extra power over the field of view and if I need more field of view I pop up my 10's off my chest.

Yes you would find more game with the 15X than 12X!!! Of course that is from a tripod.

My setup is Swarovski 15X and 10 x 42 Leica rangefinders. I use the 15s for coues, pronghorn, javelina and elk hunts. The unit 17 NM where we hunt elk the 15s are very important in finding them.
As a guy who had hunted 16&17 often, I definitely know what you mean

Hey guys, looking for your opinions on a bino splurge I'm about to make on either the 12x NL Pures or the 15x SLC, and I can't make up my dang mind. I'm aware of the FOV differences but I'd like additional options on for and against...

I'm an Idaho hunter who will be pretty much exclusively out west. I will basically always have a tripod with me for my 25-50x spotter. I may bow hunt on occasion, to the extent that that is a factor. I'm not wild about the $700 difference but I feel strongly about having great glass out here and want a pair that I'll be happy with for a long time.

appreciate any thoughts/opinions you guys might have on these binos;

appreciate any thoughts/opinions you guys might have on these binos; thanks!
I seldom glass without my tripod and use my 10x42s for close to medium range and my BTX 85 for medium to long range. For extra LR I add the extender assuming mirage is not a problem. FOV with the BTX is pretty small at medium range so you need the 10x to "find" the critters if you can't find a good landmark. The BTX is literally a pain in the neck, but once you get hooked, it's a love/hate relationship. Get past the "pain" and you won't leave home without them.

For what I know of hunting Idaho, I'd go with just the 12x NL Pures. And of course tripod mount them whenever you can. Big spotter for long looks or judging deer. Cant see myself packing two pairs of binos and a spotter in the MTS. I'm just not that serious I guess. See it's an older post. What did you get?

For what I know of hunting Idaho, I'd go with just the 12x NL Pures. And of course tripod mount them whenever you can. Big spotter for long looks or judging deer. Cant see myself packing two pairs of binos and a spotter in the MTS. I'm just not that serious I guess. See it's an older post. What did you get?
Yeah I ended up going with the 15s. We'll see if that was the right move this hunting season. You're right it is thicker here, and maybe the 12 NLs would've been the right move, but the $700 delta between the two swayed me along with some of the good input from folks here.

I like the 15s so far but I'll really need to get a season under my belt with them to truly know. I plan to run 10s and 15/tripod set up on my archery elk tag this September as the initial test.