Opinions & Suggestions on New firearm?

Opinions & Suggestions on New firearm? (Project Completed)

I have made my mind up and also built the rig. What do you think? The details are:

458 Win Mag.
26" douglas stainless barrel
ferrel bases
leopould 3x9
weaver rings
Boyd stock
bedded in devcon steel bed
Weighs app. 11 Lbs
the donor action is a Savage 7mag

458-build011.jpg

OCT-DEC-2006099.jpg

DEC-2006005.jpg

DEC-2006002.jpg

Last edited:
Have you looked into building something off of the new 375 ruger. its pretty impressive. and if you wanted a longer barrel like you were talking about it would really scream. the brass would be availible. plenty of bullet sellection. you wouldnt have case diameter issues. I dont see it becomeing HUGELY popular so you will probably be the first guy in deer came to have one. even if you put it in a 22 in barrel (factory rugers are only 20) you would have one awesome brush gun. could be a great bear gun too. Heck if you dont build it, I might :)

Opinions

The browning HI WALL would be a good one to start with.

Winchester is now building them but you can still find the
Browning in 45/70.

I have 3 Browning's A 45/70, 3006, 7mm rem mag. + several
sharps (a 45/70 and a 45/110).

The reason I recomend the Browning in 45/70 it is designed
for most of the big magnums (very strong) you can use factory
loads that are easy to find,or work up loads that will allmost
equal the 458 win mag .( my toughest load was a 500gr hornady
at 2100 ft/sec).

Case capacity was the limiting factor.

And now that they are making special lever action ammo with spitzer
bullets they should perform well.

Another Opinion
J E CUSTOM

Have you looked into building something off of the new 375 ruger. its pretty impressive. and if you wanted a longer barrel like you were talking about it would really scream. the brass would be availible. plenty of bullet sellection. you wouldnt have case diameter issues. I dont see it becomeing HUGELY popular so you will probably be the first guy in deer came to have one. even if you put it in a 22 in barrel (factory rugers are only 20) you would have one awesome brush gun. could be a great bear gun too. Heck if you dont build it, I might :)

Yeah you are right about available brass. I haven't been able to find Winchester brass for it except for on eBay and that's $$$$. I haven't heared much about the 375 ruger so I must say I am not familiar with it.

dont want to get you worried or anything but my co worker built a 416 rem mag on a svage action and he has broke 4 of the bolt head pins. the only thing that i could see doing this is the high recoil of the round. just a heads up, something to look out for. huntinfool18

I'm plenty satisfied with my old(er) Marlin 1895 (bought new) and my beat to crap GG (bought used hard). Both will shoot into moa with the one load I've tried in them. The 1895 likes LaserCast 350g bullets using H4227 and the GG likes Federal 350 JHPs.

kbb, Have you shot the gun yet? Would like your impressions on that cartrige. Give us a report when you can.

I haven't shot it in the field yet. I have only punched paper with it so far. I must say for the amount I like to shoot I am glad it weighs a ton. Sitting at the bench I can only take about 15 rounds. If I am standing I can go through 20 to 25 rounds while shooting the 223 between groups. Below is what I have so far.

DEC-2006.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.