Opinions on the Savage 110 High Country

bstomper

I'm contemplating picking up a Savage 110 high country 7 RM and would like to hear some opinions of the rifle form some that have had experiences with them. I have a couple savages already and they are great shooters so I can't see why this wouldn't be also. Any info would be appriciated.

I'm contemplating picking up a Savage 110 high country 7 RM and would like to hear some opinions of the rifle form some that have had experiences with them. I have a couple savages already and they are great shooters so I can't see why this wouldn't be also. Any info would be appriciated.

Why specifically the high country model?

I like the look of it with the fluted barrel. I'm not stuck on it, Its just one of my top choices

Gotchya. Was just wondering the reasoning.

There have been a couple threads on here where people have complained about extremely rough chambers and rifleing on them. I think they were all the same caliber but I'm not 100% sure and I can't remember what caliber it was. 308 maybe?

For me, if it comes chambered for a cartridge you'd want I'd spend the ~$200 more and get a savage ultralight since they come with the proof carbon barrels. You can always upgrade the stock later if you don't like it, and everything I've seen for Reviews has had exceptional accuracy

Last edited:
On their site it says 9.5 twist on the 7 mag which would be a hard pass for me. I would also check what mag length is and how it stacks up with what bullets and how far you want to shoot.
I love savages, have a bunch and they all shoot very well, a couple in the .3's with hand loads

On their site it says 9.5 twist on the 7 mag which would be a hard pass for me. I would also check what mag length is and how it stacks up with what bullets and how far you want to shoot.
I love savages, have a bunch and they all shoot very well, a couple in the .3's with hand loads

The long action centerfeed mags and hinged floorplate use the exact same body. I can't find my mag to measure right now, but I think they max out around 3.5" they aren't much more than saami length for a 300winmag. I know my 375h&h and 300rum factory loads (3.6" coal) have now chance of fitting. On the 300rum factor loaded 220gr eldx have the entire plastic tip outside the max internal length of the mag

I've got one in 6.5 PRC and my only complaint is that it is heavy. I've got my groups to.30 MOA with Norma MRP and Hornady ELD-M bullets (It's hard finding those two right now).

I almost bought one, but as others have stated it's heavy, great if your going to a deer stand, but not for backcountry jaunts, and I own a few other rifles from Savage that are lighter. Someone already posted, but for a few hundred dollars more it's worth getting the ultralight, although it's much lighter the few that I've seen the finish on the stock is rough and just feels cheaply made, maybe that was by design, so as to keep it light.?

Savages claim to fame is making cheap rifles that shoot well. If they dont shoot you can rebarrel them cheap. I would not pay a grand for one. Except maybe the ultralight with the proof barrel. I have a 12 heavy varmint that shoots great, sub moa. I also would not want to borescope it lol. I paid $200 after sale and rebate.

Ultralight will quickly get heavier with a good scope and mounts, for me it would get a bedded stock from McMillian or B&C, by that time weight would be about perfect. The savage barrels are copper and carbon mines but often shoot like they are match barrels :) Got a 12BVSS that shoots 2's simply skim bedded, 308 tactical that will stay in threes if I do my part. Both factory barrels, but a good criterion pre fit from NSS also brings accuracy with ease of cleaning. They are putting their best barrels (proof carbon) on the ultralights and truing the actions as well. If you want accuracy go with one of them IMHO :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.