Opinions on scope base/rings for medium weight setup

Dirty45

Ok, looking for some opinions on this. Here is the gun:

Pre-Accutrigger Savage 116 - flat back
Putting on a new McGowen .280AI barrel in Sporter contour. Has a B&C Medalist stock. Gun currently has 1" Talley lightweight direct mount rings on it. These are great, but 0 MOA and 1".

So the dilima...I have a Vortex HST 4-16x44 scope ready to go on this. So I'll be able to dial ranges. This isn't a super light rig, but not heavy.

Would you:

A. Put on 30mm Talley rings and roll with the limited elevation adjustment?

Or

B. Put on aluminum 20 MOA base and aluminum rings to gain the elevation?

I love the clearance on the Talley's for loading rounds. That is a big part of my thinking. I know weight difference won't really be that much.

What would you guys do?

I'm pretty sure a 0moa base will still get you out close to 1000yds. Are you realisticly planning on shooting that far?

I wanted to get to 1000 for practice purposes with this gun. I wouldn't ideally be taking a hunting shot that far with a gun this light. The scope has 75 MOA of travel. So, I'd be right at maxed out most likely at 1000. I just am not fond of running the scope to the limit of travel.

I wanted to get to 1000 for practice purposes with this gun. I wouldn't ideally be taking a hunting shot that far with a gun this light. The scope has 75 MOA of travel. So, I'd be right at maxed out most likely at 1000. I just am not fond of running the scope to the limit of travel.
You should be able to get to 1000 with 20-25moa. I wouldn't do a sloped base in your shoes.

I'm with Desertcj. The 20 MOA rail will just raise the rear of the scope and mess with your cheek weld. Plus, you can always dial the scope to what ever twisted MOA you like and then use the MOA hash-marks on the reticle for any addition elevation. That way you could even get beyond 1K.

I ran the numbers in Shooter at 2850fps (a guess) for 160 Accubonds.

Looks like ~29-30 MOA. So borderline if I can do it with this scope.

I think I'm on board with you guys though. I think I'll go with the Talley's....

I will tell you that my two favorite bases/rings are DNZ game reapers and Murphy precision base with Burris extreme tactical rings. I'm sure there are other great rings as well. The Murphy precision bases come in 0moa, 10moa or 20moa and also in stainless or titanium.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Burris Signature rings with offsets. I use them on 3 rifles. You can customize the amount of MOA they add by changing inserts. They also allow you to center the scope better without wasting a lot of windage or vertical from the turrets.

The Burris Signature rings are steel. The newer XTR rings are Aluminum with offsets. I want to try them someday. I'm sure they're great too.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.