Opinions on Repeating a good Load , ES, SD , Velocity, Grouping

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Lindsey, May 25, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Lindsey

Lindsey Member

Actually feeling a little better hearing that I am not alone in this. The day I came home with the good grouping plus low SD made my day. The day I repeated it, brought me down. I did clean my guns between the testing and only fired 2 fouling warm up barrel shots SO....I am crossing my fingers that what (JTB) mentioned.....may be part of the problem. Waiting for no rain and less wind to test again.

2. ralphjunius

ralphjunius New Member

Unfortunately 4 shots is not a statistically significant number of shots. Considering 4 shot groups, the differences you quote are not bad at all, but actually don't mean much.
    To get a repeatable and nominally accurate idea of what your guns are doing will take at least 25 shots each trip to the range and 100 is a lot better. Unfortunately, from a practical standpoint other things besides the load may come into play getting to 100 shots.
    However, if you shoot at least 10 shot groups, you will more likely get a half decent statistical idea of what your guns are doing, and two different days of shooting will probably correlate a lot better.

3. Doug Herold

Doug Herold Well-Known Member

That is not a statistically significant difference. A lot of shooters would love to have your problem.

4. Rudolph Ferdinand

Rudolph Ferdinand Well-Known Member

I have done the Satterlee test 10 rounds shooting, three different powders two different cases Peterson and Starline brass. I have loaded another ten rounds and chosen the loads that are close in velocity, now, all I need is range time just too many Doctor appointments this week.