Opinions on Rebarreling a Rem. 25/06?

Dust270WSM

I have a Remington 700 in 25/06 we have had for years. It probably has had thousands of rounds ran threw it. Still shoots well but not like it use to.

Gotta a few questions.

1st...What calibers, besides a 25/06 can you change to? And which would you guys and galls reccommend me to get? Prob be a deer gun. Ranging from 0 to 600 yards. But might be a little small for deer at that ranges so might be a extreme long range shooter for coyotes instead.

2nd...What does it usually cost to have it rebarreled? And what all would you have done to the action?

3rd... Who would you recommend?

And 4th...What brand of barrel would you go with?

Assuming you reload for this rifle, and based upon your alias (270WSM) I would most likely rebarrel to the same cartridge. All of the assumes you are happy with the 25-06 as a caliber/cartridge, stock, and barrel countour as is.

If you are up for making changes, i.e. a new barrel, do you want to keep it in the same stock? If so you may want to stay with the same barrel contour (& rifle stock barrel channel).

Based upon the limited info you have given us, it is very hard to beat the 25-06 for what you have said so far. The only thing you might consider doing is going to an Ackley Improved version with 40 deg shoulders.

For long range varmint hunting, and deer Hunting too, the 25-06 is a fine rifle.

But then for deer you are stepping into the 270 WSM's relm with authority (as you already know).

I agree with Chopaka... I have a 25-06 Sendero and it's bore has seen bettere days. It still shoots great, but anticipate a rebarrel fairly soon. I'll go with another Sendero contour in the same 25-06 chamber, with a custom match grade barrel. Haven't decided which one yet, but it's hard to go wrong with any of the dozen or so top barrel makers.

The AI is an interesting chamber, but I'll stick with the basic 25-06 as I am getting AI velocites and better with RL17, have the dies etc.

110 AB's MV 3500
115 Ballistic Silvertips MV 3405

That's good enough for me.

Mark

I would probably take a good look at a 280 Rem. Ackley Improved. You can get brass and or loaded ammo from Nosler and an endless variety of bullets.

280 Rem. AI would make and excellent deer gun out to 600yds.

1. You could convert your Rem 700 to anything from the '06 case size up to and including any of the RUM chamberings or wildcats. The list is nearly endless what you COULD convert your 25-06 Remington into. Only limitations are your goals and how much you want to pay to convert the receiver which even into a RUM class chambering is not all that difficult.

For the needs you discribe, there really is no need to convert to a larger chambering then the '06 case size. To be honest, for what you want to do, out to 600 yard deer hunting, I would look real hard at the 6.5-06 AI. A 140-142 gr match bullet such as the Berger VLD or A-Max or SMK will be extremely effective on even heavy deer out to 600 yards and perform very well in the wind and terminally as well. A 6.5-06 AI will pretty much do anything that a 280 AI will do but do so with a bit more velocity(less drop), matching wind drift and noticably less recoil then the 280. Either will certainly work but the 6.5 will just be a bit more warm and fuzzy to shoot.

2. Simple rebarreling will range from $300 to $600 depending on barrel cost and what the smith charges for barrel fitting and chambering. Personally, I would charge around the top end for a 27" stainless steel Lilja, installed, finished and bead blast matte finished. Most on this board will be similiar to this with equal priced barrels.

Thats for a simple barrel installation. It can get much more extensive if you want full receiver accurizing and such. In my opinion, its a risk to install a match grade barrel on a receiver that has not been accurized. Much better investment to know that the receiver is true and square when the barrel is installed. Not saying the rifle would not shoot, just the odds are much better if the rifle is true from the rear receiver screw to the muzzle crown.

3. I would support the smiths here on Longrangehunting. Not saying myself specifically but I know most of the smiths that frequent LRH and all are top knotch guys and smiths. You will not go wrong with any of us. I only say to use a smith here on LRH because you seemed to feel the opinions here were worth asking your questions to. There are hundreds of great smiths in our country so the smiths here are certainly not the end all but they are great smiths and put alot of time and offer alot of free experience here on LRH so we appreciate the members support.

4. I use Lilja, Hart, Broughton, Rock, Krieger, Brux and Bartlien mostly. Of these, by far I use Lilja the most but all of these will get you a 1/2 moa rifle if installed properly. From what I have seen, on average, you can really take your pick. They are all very good.

Some of the lower priced barrels such as Pac-Nor, Shilen and Douglas will also make good shooters but they are not in the class of the other barrels mentioned previously.

Hope this helps some. Good luck with your project.

adjust the trigger . have the action trued when re-bRRELING. get a krieger or one of the barrels anmed in the first list. a 6.5-284 would be a good choice.

I have a .25-06 Sendero that my son is using and when the barrel goes south on it I plan to have the receiver trued and a 28" Lilja (fluted, Sendero contour) installed in 6.5-06AI by Kirby. JohnnyK.

If you don't want to go back with the 25/06, then i would seriously consider the 6.5/06.
The 6.5-284 is a good choice too.
I personally like barrels from Hart, but I am sure the other makers are very good too.

First time asker, long time reader. So a good ole round of Hellos to everyone. I am stuck with the same situation. I just had a custom 6.5 CM built on a pre-64 Win 70 receiver from stem to stern blueprinted and hand loads painstakingly worked up with 140 gr Berger VLDs. Now I'm left with a sequential pair of Ithaca (Tikka) LSA-55 6mm Rems, they will remain the same for my twin grandsons but my good old Rem 700 25-06 is ready to be given the full face lift. I've been reading and researching everything that I can to try and come up with a solution. ARs take up the lower end, the 6mm take up the deer sized and such to 600 yds and a front to back custom 300 WM with 210 gr VLDs take on the big boys. I'm looking to redo the 25-06 for the middle ground and be able to take on it out to 1000-1200 along with the 300 WM with my long range buddies, hoping to get some ideas from you guys to help clear up the 400-1000 yard equation. But I won't wait 14 months on another custom McMillan stock. (I know, never say never). Thanks for letting me get long winded on my first post. I'll keep them short from here on.

I'm working on load development for a 6.5x06AI right now, so far I'm impressed.
Get an AG there great stocks and wait times aren't near what McMillan or Manners are.

First time asker, long time reader. So a good ole round of Hellos to everyone. I am stuck with the same situation. I just had a custom 6.5 CM built on a pre-64 Win 70 receiver from stem to stern blueprinted and hand loads painstakingly worked up with 140 gr Berger VLDs. Now I'm left with a sequential pair of Ithaca (Tikka) LSA-55 6mm Rems, they will remain the same for my twin grandsons but my good old Rem 700 25-06 is ready to be given the full face lift. I've been reading and researching everything that I can to try and come up with a solution. ARs take up the lower end, the 6mm take up the deer sized and such to 600 yds and a front to back custom 300 WM with 210 gr VLDs take on the big boys. I'm looking to redo the 25-06 for the middle ground and be able to take on it out to 1000-1200 along with the 300 WM with my long range buddies, hoping to get some ideas from you guys to help clear up the 400-1000 yard equation. But I won't wait 14 months on another custom McMillan stock. (I know, never say never). Thanks for letting me get long winded on my first post. I'll keep them short from here on.
6.5x284
Or
280ai