Opinions on prefit barrels

Yea I was looking at just getting the action to prevent having to remove factory barrel. I've heard they are on there pretty snug.

18" Pipe wrench gets that factory barrel off there quick like. So long as you don't plan on using it again. I've used that method to remove multiple factory 700 pencil barrels.

Last edited:
It is. One scope, one set of rings/mount, one stock, one trigger and a bunch of barrels. That's why the Bighorns are nice as you can change bolt faces easily and have everything from a .223 to a 300WSM.
I can't argue with that Rob.
Whenever I start thinking of putting something together, start doing the parts list,$$ and usually take my broke *** back upstairs and forget about it.

Urbanrifleman over on Accurateshooter.com is selling some very, very accurate Wilson barrels, amazing shooting barrels for the price.

I have two 6 BRAs and two 22-243 AIs, Slick as a baby's *** on the inside and uniform bore dia from end to end. Teslong does not lie at 25X. The Wilsons shoot exceptionally if the gunsmith indicates them in well.

Last edited:
I can't argue with that Rob.
Whenever I start thinking of putting something together, start doing the parts list,$$ and usually take my broke *** back upstairs and forget about it.

I usually start looking around going "what can I sell?" LOL

I saved my first factory take off thinking since it shot good I'd reuse it or sell it. It ain't worth the trouble, I know now, I'll never screw a factory barrel back on after using a nice hand lapped custom barrel. If I'm taking a factory barrel off it either shoots badly or it's shot out, so it's my big ole pipe wrench for me on the barrel. I'll give it to someone who wants to make muzzle brakes or maybe ream it to their favorite AI or wildcat and use it to fire form.

I doubted the Accuracy of a barrel nut job, common talk is something about a barrel nut is bad in so many ways. Well, a friend died, and left me his Savage BVVS 112 long action in 22/250. I had half an inch cut off the back end and had it chambered to 22/250 AI with zero freebore. I worked up tiny groups with three different powders in one afternoon loading at the rifle range. Groups were in the two's, IMR 4320, Varget, and Win 760 with 55g Bergers.

Next, I upped the game a little, and had a 27" Max heavy varmint Brux 8T threaded and chambered for a nut job in 6 Dasher. This barrel is still going strong, had another one done with the same reamer but left at .030 freebore for lighter bullets on a 14 Twist barrel, with 55g Noslers at 4130 going into groups that open up a bullet hole with AA2230, Rem 7 1/2. Then I bought a Savage single shot, and made it into a 223 AI, this barrel also shoots bug holes.

So, the lesson to be learned, I think a lot of people repeat BS that they have heard, and this BS just goes round and round till it is a commonly accepted fact.

A more important issue is how well the barrel is indicated in prior to being chambered and threaded, and this issue is HUGE!

I am not a big savage fan, but I have three single shots with custom barrels, two in laminated stocks, and the 7 Mag Hart 9T in a McMillen F Class A 5. These Savages hang with some of my custom action rifles.

Recent Posts