Opinions on optimal magnification for hunting out West

A 3-18 of some kind is plenty enough, however this year I am sporting a 4-32.
I am very interested to see how you like hunting with the 4-32 power. I assume it's an NX8? I am thinking it's what I will pick up as my next scope, let us know how it goes for you.

In a previous post I joined in on the 3-18 "bandwagon", forgetting that Leupold offered a 2-12. For my personal choice that would be the route I would take. The scope @ 2x is a bit more useful in timber, and unless you're shooting at pretty long ( greater than say 700 yards) distances or small animals....the 12x should work quite well! Just another focal range to consider! memtb

why do you say no bigger than 44mm objective?
I didn't see an answer to this yet.
Typically, the next step up in objective is 50mm or bigger, and commonly it means heavier scope and higher rings.
Heavy is relative, but if your scope is 30oz and you swing up to an offhand position, you'll really notice that extra 16oz if you have to hold for longer than a minute (unless you've been practicing your hold). Also, you *seriously* notice it if you're hiking over rugged terrain from dawn to dusk.
The higher rings mean you need a higher comb on your rifle to get a natural fit. For long range shots, IMO, a solid cheek weld is an absolute must. I also haven't found a good stock pad for correcting the comb "deficiency."
I'm sure you know this, but how a rifle fits you is the most important thing.

I have two 2 -12 first gen VX6 with capped turrets and long range duplex. 2 I think 2 minute dots on the vertical below the crosswire. At 2 it has 57 feet of view and if you can,t shoot big game with a 12 power I suggest a trip to your optometrist. I know my trajectory to 700 with a big 30 or 338 and that is as far as I will shoot at game. On my african rifle. A 9.3 sta I made up. A 286 at 2900. I have a 1 to 8 illuminated with a german #4 reticle. On 1 it has 108 feet of view and same thing. I don,t need over 8 power for anything over there.

Over the years the over whelming numbers of elk & deer I have taken has been at or under 200 yds. Many under 100 yds. My elk last year, no more than 80 yds. I can think of two taken round 300 to 350 yds. The rare exception.. . . A 3x9 will work fine. Also a 2.5x10. if you have the $$$ a Leupold 2x12 would be great. I heavily lean toward a scope with a low bottom end. I guess a 0 to 50 power would be great as long as you could carry it.

I use mostly 2 x 8 Leupold D-plex. Good for easy 500 yds, and more. For close shots the lower power is good especially in the timber in the west for elk.

I wasn't aware that NF built at 2.5x10x32 scope. Going to have to look into that more. Thanks! I have used scope that are in the 25 power. Heat waves and lost of field view, got me to return to lower power scopes, except when working loads workup. I have several different scopes, but on my hunting rifles I use a 2x8 Leupold.

I am real happy with my 4.5-14X40, 30 mm tube, SF, VX3i's. Relatively compact with the 40mm objective and lighter weight. I usually set them at 4.5X and appreciate a smaller sized scope and lower mounting while maneuvering around rocks, trees, & brush (don't like top heavy rifles). The 14X is enough for small rodents at more than 400 so shooting at elks would work out well. The price of these 4.5-14X40's 300 mm tube SF is much less than a 30mm tube 3-18 X42 SF. The 3-18 would be a fine scope for my .22-.250 which is my general all purpose rifle, real tiny targets can be seen better at long range with 18X. The smaller exit pupil of a 40mm objective 14X scope does not seem like much of a handicap compared to a 50 mm objective lens 14X scope.

My "elk rifles" are topped with the following. All have taken elk except my 28 Nosler which is new since Oct 2020. From 50ish to 882 so far, by myself or family/friends.

.270Win 4-12×50
.280AI 3-15×50 (used to have 3-24×52)
7RM 3-20×50
28 Nosler 4-20×50
.300RUM 5-25×56 (used only for LR elk)

To be honest, I don't think a single animal has been taken on max power with those rifles. I think glass quality and repeatabilty are what counts more than super high mag range. I would take a 12x max in alpha glass over a 24x in a cheap Chinese scope.

Last edited:
I've lived and hunted out west most of my life. I started out with a 3-9 variable on my first rifle. Years later reading gun magazines I found out that 3-9 wasn't enough magnification so my next scope was a 6.5-20. Big heavy scope. I found that I rarely took it off the lowest setting because a deer or elk were large enough at the 100-300 yard range I didn't need it. The higher end mag range was good when looking to identify if the Elk was legal or not.

I have replaced most of my scopes with one that is in the 4-16 range. I try to limit my shots on game to 500 yards and in so low power works there.
For target shooting the 16 power works for me out to 1000yds. Higher magnification would certainly be better out that far though.

The 3-15 or 4-16 of even 3-18 works great for me. I perfer the sfp reticle especially on the lower powers. I walk with the scope on a very low power. If it's very thick brushed area I keep it on the minimum

I agree with the sentiments here. Have killed lots and lots of Western game. A 3-15X or 3-18X is plenty. I'd much rather have a lower low-power option on my scope than a higher high-power setting. The benefits to shooting game a low magnification levels far outweigh the benefits of cranking the scope up to whatever max power it might have. Better field of view, easier to find the target, easier to reacquire the target after the shot, more forgiving eye relief, bigger exit pupil is a benefit in low light, etc.