Opinions on optimal magnification for hunting out West

Tidus56

A 3-18 of some kind is plenty enough, however this year I am sporting a 4-32.
I am very interested to see how you like hunting with the 4-32 power. I assume it’s an NX8? I am thinking it’s what I will pick up as my next scope, let us know how it goes for you.

memtb

In a previous post I joined in on the 3-18 “bandwagon”, forgetting that Leupold offered a 2-12. For my personal choice that would be the route I would take. The scope @ 2x is a bit more useful in timber, and unless you’re shooting at pretty long ( greater than say 700 yards) distances or small animals....the 12x should work quite well! Just another focal range to consider! memtb

P7M13

why do you say no bigger than 44mm objective?
I didn't see an answer to this yet.
Typically, the next step up in objective is 50mm or bigger, and commonly it means heavier scope and higher rings.
Heavy is relative, but if your scope is 30oz and you swing up to an offhand position, you'll really notice that extra 16oz if you have to hold for longer than a minute (unless you've been practicing your hold). Also, you *seriously* notice it if you're hiking over rugged terrain from dawn to dusk.
The higher rings mean you need a higher comb on your rifle to get a natural fit. For long range shots, IMO, a solid cheek weld is an absolute must. I also haven't found a good stock pad for correcting the comb "deficiency."
I'm sure you know this, but how a rifle fits you is the most important thing.

David Emerson

LRH Team Member
I have two 2 -12 first gen VX6 with capped turrets and long range duplex. 2 I think 2 minute dots on the vertical below the crosswire. At 2 it has 57 feet of view and if you can,t shoot big game with a 12 power I suggest a trip to your optometrist. I know my trajectory to 700 with a big 30 or 338 and that is as far as I will shoot at game. On my african rifle. A 9.3 sta I made up. A 286 at 2900. I have a 1 to 8 illuminated with a german #4 reticle. On 1 it has 108 feet of view and same thing. I don,t need over 8 power for anything over there.

Hespco

Over the years the over whelming numbers of elk & deer I have taken has been at or under 200 yds. Many under 100 yds. My elk last year, no more than 80 yds. I can think of two taken round 300 to 350 yds. The rare exception.. . . A 3x9 will work fine. Also a 2.5x10. if you have the $$$ a Leupold 2x12 would be great. I heavily lean toward a scope with a low bottom end. I guess a 0 to 50 power would be great as long as you could carry it.

Trending threads