Opinions on OnxMaps Hunt for Garmin 6xx series GPS

bbaley

Hi,
Me and my buddy have Garmin Rhino 610's.

I have been looking at the OnxMaps Hunt series with private land ownership at it looks good on paper (website).

Specifically Oregon or the OR/WA/ID regional.

Any opinions or thoughts/experience on this product ?

Thanks !

You won't regret the purchase at all. I have the Alaska and Wyoming chips (for a Montana 650t) and their iPhone app. Nearly everyone I have shown it to has immediately bought an onXmaps chip.

The benefit to the map for use in OR is the inclusion of the old fire roads that usually don't show up on other types of maps. We don't have a real problem here with BLM but if you're antelope hunting this year that could be a benefit. Seeing those old roads is pretty nice on the hunts I've had in WY and AZ. I hunted pvt last year here in OR and those old roads were pretty nice to have.

The benefit to the map for use in OR is the inclusion of the old fire roads that usually don't show up on other types of maps. We don't have a real problem here with BLM but if you're antelope hunting this year that could be a benefit. Seeing those old roads is pretty nice on the hunts I've had in WY and AZ. I hunted pvt last year here in OR and those old roads were pretty nice to have.

Agree that it depends on where you hunt. If all you do it hunt is the middle of a large National forest or giant pice of BLM land then it is useless. What makes the xmap useful is the plot mapping of ownership boundaries. If you hunt anywhere on the fringe, it is priceless. Even around places like Steens Mt. cause there are lots private lands intertwined with the BLM stuff.

Thanks for the info guys!

Speaking of old fire roads/logging spurs...
remember the old Metsker's paper maps ?

Those were awesome.
I still have about 1/4 of Oregon on those but they are getting ragged. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore.

Cheers.

thanks all I took the plunge and purchased,
Now I am trying to figure out all the fancy ways I can overlay it on USGS TOPOs and other stuff that has older data as well

thanks all I took the plunge and purchased,
Now I am trying to figure out all the fancy ways I can overlay it on USGS TOPOs and other stuff that has older data as well

Use their version that you can play with on your computer. It works great with the free Garmin software to overlay maps.

You can overlay them on your Garmin in your vehicle too.

do you guys know how often that they get updates for the maps? I also am concerned about Oregon trying to keep up with current land owners on the coast range?? ie weyerhauser properties???

do you guys know how often that they get updates for the maps? I also am concerned about Oregon trying to keep up with current land owners on the coast range?? ie weyerhauser properties???

Their site says once a year with subversions released in between. So I think it will catch the big land trades that happen in the coast range pretty well.

In response to the update question, when you buy your chip you get free updates until the end of the year then, updates are $30.00 for another year.
You can also see when and what our updates are by getting on our website and clicking on your state, when you scroll down you will see a CHANGLOG tab, click on that and you will see the updates. I have added the link for Oregon here: HUNT Oregon Public/Private Land Ownership Topo Maps for Garmin GPS | onXmaps

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.