Opinion's on most accurate semi-auto .22's

Do people really pay other people to clean their guns?
YUP,.. I cleaned, a LOT of, Semi Auto's, ( Pistols, Shotguns and Rifles ) in the 1970's and 1980's for,.. $35 - $40 a "pop" !
Most people are afraid to disassemble their gun or, don't want to, get their hands dirty.
T'was easy Money for me,.. as a General Gunsmith.

I'm in the process of building a 10/22 now. So far I picked up a blemish green mountain barrel, a used victor titan stock and ruger bx trigger. Try to keep it on the cheep side I'll post results when I get it put together
Be sure to, Polish the Chamber's, "Throat Area" with some JB's slathered on, a Patch, over a Bronze Brush, as they are Bentz chambered and have sharp Rifling that, GRAB'S the Bullet ( most WON'T extract, a LIVE Round ) Just DON'T over do it ! And, by Polishing the Rifling, a Few stokes, too,.. will speed up, the "Break in" process and make for, a Sub 1/2 inch, 50 yard, "shooter" with the "Right" Ammo and a GOOD Trigger of, course !
The Green Mountain Barrel was, a GREAT, "choice" you should be, pleased with it !
Glass Bed, an inch and a half of, the Barrels "Shank" portion and free float the rest.
I used a Little Crow, Gunwork's "Recoil Lug", to hold my Barrel on and Bedded it, too !

Last edited:
Likewise, I cleaned a LOT of firearms in my decade or so working behind the counter. And reassembled many that were brought to the shop in what we eventually referred to as "coffee can specials", i.e. "I took this thing apart to clean it and now I can't figure out how to put it back together. Oh and while you have it, could you clean it?" I not only cleaned customer's firearms, I cleaned every used or traded-in firearm.

With a 10/22 I think the most valuable modification that you can make to one is the hole at the rear of the receiver. Then you can push patches thru the bore in the best direction. Not that you should need to do that all that often. On my own I only push a patch thru the bore after cleaning the action, and the main reason that I do that is to make sure that there are no mongus-grotties from the action cleaning that managed to make it into the bore.

Kidd. And cmmg .22 upper if AR. I have both. They both shoot. If I did competition Id build ccx a bolt gun on a custom action.

The MOST "Valuable" Modification to, the Ruger 10/22 is, the TRIGGER ( #1 ) then, Buy a GOOD, Barrel (#2 ).
I CAN'T shoot, a 6, 7 or, 9 Pound Trigger,.. worth, a chit !
The Receiver's, "Cleaning Hole" is,... nice, tho !

As, a semi-professional, Whistle Pig shooter ( AKA, Sage Rat ) Hunter, I NEED, a "good / crisp", 2 pound Trigger & an awesome 1/2 moa, Green Mtn. Barrel to, Pop them off, as far out as,.. 85 yards !
Can't do THAT, with, a heavy trigger pull and a bad shooting, barrel,.. lol
My Receivers rear end, IS, nicely "Drilled" for, cleaning, tho,.. just in case, you were, wondering.

The Magnum Research Switch Bolt is an awesome shooter. My son and I both have one with Leupold EFR scopes. They are easily the most accurate 22lr I have seen. 1 hole at 25 yards and around .25-.3 at 50 yards. Haven't shot them much at 100 yards but plan to do a bunch this year. We do shoot chips of clay pigeons from sporting clays on the range burm with 33 clicks added to our 25 yard zero. All shot with simple CCI SV. Can't image what they would do with high end ammo.

Steve

P.S. all of this at 5lbs

Attachments

• 9C40555E-322C-40D3-8A0A-74FD8B8F80D1.jpeg
    9C40555E-322C-40D3-8A0A-74FD8B8F80D1.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 110
The Magnum Research Switch Bolt is an awesome shooter. My son and I both have one with Leupold EFR scopes. They are easily the most accurate 22lr I have seen. 1 hole at 25 yards and around .25-.3 at 50 yards. Haven't shot them much at 100 yards but plan to do a bunch this year. We do shoot chips of clay pigeons from sporting clays on the range burm with 33 clicks added to our 25 yard zero. All shot with simple CCI SV. Can't image what they would do with high end ammo.

Steve

P.S. all of this at 5lbs
That's the one I ordered last December for my Grandsons Birthday in Jan. '21. Still on a waiting list @ two different popular dealers around here. They Quoted me a price in the $600 plus range. Wonder what they sky rocketed to now ? I did score on 3 boxes of CCI Mini Mag .22 LR hollow point 36Gr. @ Fleet early in "21 for $12-$13 per pack for that Rifle. Thanx for your input.

I've got the bxr carbon.
Beware the trigger.
I haven't taken it fully apart but it seem a couple of the springs aren't standard format according to my 10/22 nut neighbour.

There is a shim that has ZERO clearance between the mag release and hold open plate (or whatever its called) and takes 7 hands to align for the pin to go back in.

Also I have an aftermarket and standard ruger factory mag releases that DO NOT FIT! the long style one and a regular, I don't know what brand, but width of the bergara one is significantly wider just behind the pin with a slightly different geometry that holds the mag plunger. Ruger factory/aftermarket one holds the plunger about half open and the mag and release rattles like crazy. I didn't fire it but functionality with snap caps was ok. But no confidence, so I put it back to factory.

The Ruger 10/22 have some problems in the trigger. First a design problem in angle on one part in the the trigger contact sears. Set a dial caliper against the hammer, As the trigger is pulled, The hammer will come back a few thousandth of an inch. The trigger is fighting the main spring tension. The hole that the trigger return spring and plunger fit into in the trigger guard. The hole is rough, Takes a polish job to smooth it up.