Opinions on Mil-dots and IL

Nebraska

The mil-dot reticle looks interesting but I've never used one. What do you guys think of it for use on big game? Also, is this something that would be better in an illuminated reticle?

Dave King

It's the only reticle I use now days. I still carry a laser rangefinder while hunting but really like the MilDot. I rarely see the need for illuminated reticles.

Mysticplayer

I like it a lot and it has many useful features. For shorter ranges, it can be used as a rangefinder through subtension. Not much use after 600yds.

Excellent to aid in holdovers, windage adjustments, and size estimations.

For the most part, I use a laser rangefinder and adjust my elevation using the turrent. That is a much more precise way and the only reliable way at long ranges. I want to bullet to hit the kill zone, not somewhere on my target.

I really enjoy using it but it is not a substitute for a range finder and accurate drop tables.

Good luck...

Jerry

Ian M

Mil-dots give the shooter constant aiming points in his field of view so he can use hold-overs consistently - if he knows the relationship between his trajectory and the dots. You can vary the apparent location of these points by varying the magnification. Mil-dots are also capable of determining range, if the user knows how to operate the system. Industry folk estimate that less than 5% of sportsmen who buy mildots will ever learn to use them for ranging.

Like Dave, I wonder about the need for illumination - sort of temptation to push legal hunting time.

I believe that Mil-dots and illuminated reticles are pretty much advertising gimmicks as far as most hunters are concerned - they are tactical tools.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce