Opinions on Leupold LR Reticle

heiner39

I am currently looking at a Leupold VX-II with the LR reticle. I don't know anything about this reticle so I'm just throwing it out here to see if anyone has/is using it and what their opinions are.

Thanks in advance.

I am currently looking at a Leupold VX-II with the LR reticle. I don't know anything about this reticle so I'm just throwing it out here to see if anyone has/is using it and what their opinions are.
Thanks in advance.

heiner,
I would prefer the varmint hunter reticle over the the LR reticle myself.
i have not owned a Leupy with the LR reticle but I do have/had the TMR's & VHR's

I still prefer the VHR over the Boone & Crocket or the LR reticle, even for big game.

In fact, I have a 4.5-14 with the VHR and its primary purpose is big game hunting

Heiner39,

I cannot speak on the LR function of the Leupold as I have a Boone and Crockett Rectile on a VX-III 4.5X14 40mm.

However - I can state that stepping up to the VX-III from the VX-II is a good decision. I have a shooting partner that has a VX-II 50 mm installed on his 7mm Ultra Mag. We tested the VX-III 40mm side by side with his VX-II 50mm and the VX-II won hands down on all accounts. We were judging clarity, low light visibility and color contrast. Hands down the 40mm won against the 50 mm. If you can afford it, I suggest saving up for the VX-III in whatever rectile you choose.

Those results make me wonder how well the quality is on the VX-III 50mm which is the scope I am saving for to place on my SAKO 75 7STWgun)

Call the local gun stores and see who has the latest Leupold catalog, or check it out on-line. That'll give u all the info u'll need for it. I like the simplicity of the LR reticle for on-game use, but i also prefer the VHR for long-range work due to the more direct windage reference. The LR reticle has different stadia subtensions depending on which power range u get, but it should be excellent for on-game intermediate-range work.

Have to correct an error above--all the vertical stadia points are the same below the x-hair axis for each model--2-7,3-9,and 4-12. They are 2.19, 4.8, 7.82 MOA at the highest power of each model. The windage (plex post tips) are different for each model tho.

I purchased a CZ550 American in 9.3x62 last spring for my Alaska Grizzly hunt which occured last month. I put the VXII 2-7x33 w/ LR reticle on it. I love it! The big 286 gr Nosler Partitions have a .482 bc, which is good but still at 2300 to 2500 fps are not lazer flat. Thus, I knew I wasn't going to be shooting at anything over 430 yds due to Nosler's suggested 1900 minimum impact speed. My 2500 fps velocity dictated 430 yds would be my max range. I didn't intend to shoot a bear at that distance unless he was wounded and was showing his south side to me as he was heading north. If that were to happen, I knew things would happen real fast and their wouldn't be time to crank turrets.

So, I put my zero at 214 yds with a MPBR of 251 yds. My first dot would hit at 284 and second dot at 358. If things were going to hell in a hand basket PDQ, the top of the bottom post would be on at 435 yds.

I ended up shooting a BIG moose at 15 yds w/ my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC. The CZ did kill a spike elk a few weeks ago at 300 yds and is now on it's way to a new owner in TX who will take it to Africa. I did keep the VXII 2-7 to put on my daughters Rem 700 in 260 Rem. She's new to this and this will keep it simple for her.

Since I bought a twin to her Rem 700 CDL SF the other day, I'm looking for a simple scope with a BDC reticle to put on mine. Thus my discovering this thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.