Votes: 33 44.6%
  • 220 round nose

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 225 eld m

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • 250 hawk

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
I've been using the 168 Barnes TTSX bullets on elk - exit velocity from my custom 300 WSM is between 3125 and 3150. This recipe has accounted for 6 elk and a few deer. All one shot kills. Groups have been under 3/4 " for 5 shots since I started using it.

Taken 5 elk with my 300 WinMag... all in 180 grain... as per your instructions mine is not on the list so I'll pass.

no need to pass, at this point your one of 2 or 3 that have stuck to this list haha. Turns out we all just love talking about bullets and hunting (big surprise) and what's worked for us. Share away. What works for you?

I know you don't want other opinions but those hammers worked great on my elk last year...that said I would probably go with the 180 Federal TBT because I like that back half of the bullet is mono-metal and won't be coming apart.

I highly recommend against single loading unless you having it in your pocket with a mag full of different choices.
200 Nosler Partition.

I am having excellent results with the 210g ABLR out of all 3 of my LR rigs in 300WM, so that's what I voted for.
Near or far they have worked as advertised and they shoot very well for me. They like a little jump, so that's what I do, around .030" off works.
Perfect mushroom every time and in the early testing, I had them expand at 900fps impact velocity and penetration was adequate.

Cheers.

Well, Lord willing, I'll do some handloading in the next few weeks and see what I can do. It's nice to know I do have an established load in the 225 dialed in already.

the poll reflected my own suspicions, the trophy bonded and the ablr far and away winning, though I was surprised to see the ablr lead the charge by such a wide margin….I haven't used loaded them yet but have kept hearing they're finicky. Perhaps more internet "I know someone who said…." wisdom than actual wisdom.

I'll play with both the tbt and ablr and probably just pursue load development further with whichever shows most promise with standard overall length loadings and the first powder I try haha (real scientifically thorough I know but I don't have time for playing with multiple seating depths and 8 different powders for now, and in my experience it often holds true that a bullet that isn't agreeable at normal depths and with a typical charge of a typical burn rate powder can be optimized in its loading but probably isn't going to end up being the best regardless.

we shall see.

also prioritizing that 120 Barnes tac tx but not for this hunt. I really hope to hit 4000 FPS with that little meanie but of course will proceed sensibly. A 4kfps mono metal 30 cal ought to be one heck of an "off" switch come deer season and tbh if it ends up being way more accurate than the others I try I'm not worried about it being too little for an elk.

all these bullets have been treated with hexagonal boron nitride as has my barrel and the 225 eldm load.

a question for you all…anyone have any experience with hbn on trophy bonded tips? Any reason to worry about boron nitride applied to a nickel plated bullet compared to the usual copper or gilding metal?

From your list, 210 Nosler LRAB.

Ed
I'm firmly in this camp with the list you provided. To date I've only shot them in my 7 WSM and my 7 Mash and viola the first loads I tried with each pretty much bug holed. I'd rather be lucky than good I guess...:)

Pounded a really nice bull last fall at just under 300 yards. Bull was quartering away, bullet tucked in behind the left front, went up thru the neck, broke the neck and I found the remainder near the ear about to exit.

How'd it work, worked real good

Any of those bullets would work, but I wouldn't use a 120 gr. Not enough penetration. A 7mm 140 gr. Barnes didn't exit a bull at 225 yards.