Votes: 33 44.6%
  • 220 round nose

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 225 eld m

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • 250 hawk

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
I know you don't want other opinions but those hammers worked great on my elk last year...that said I would probably go with the 180 Federal TBT because I like that back half of the bullet is mono-metal and won't be coming apart.

I highly recommend against single loading unless you having it in your pocket with a mag full of different choices.

I know you don't want other opinions but those hammers worked great on my elk last year...that said I would probably go with the 180 Federal TBT because I like that back half of the bullet is mono-metal and won't be coming apart.

I highly recommend against single loading unless you having it in your pocket with a mag full of different choices.
Yeah it looks like everyone so far is leaning towards the tbt as was I. The ablr was intriguing to me but this isn't the first place I've heard it described as finicky. Plus I have some nickel plated brass to go with these nickel plated bullets and they're just so pretty…plus if I fall into a vat of acid whilst hunting it's good to know I'll corrode faster than my cartridges 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. That's my weird humour for the day.

I also really don't like the idea of single loading. If it turns out to not be a huge fuss to switch loads and zeroes if a long shot presents I'll bring some of my established 225 eld rounds for sure.

As the title says, I'm going elk hunting this September and, just for fun, took a picture of every 30 cal projectile I currently have in my inventory that i could run. My existing 300 win mag load is with the 225 eld m so voting for that will signify leaving well enough alone. It is crazy accurate and I like it's terminal performance BUT…. It is a single feed only proposition and I'm kind of thinking I'd like the option of fast follow up shots, elk being tough and me only having permission to be on a limited area of land on which to retrieve the critter. Nonetheless I know some will say one shot is all one should need…some of these projectiles I'm taking much more seriously than others but I've left nothing out of the poll just for fun and to see if you folks surprise me with what you'd choose.

If you were elk hunting with a 300 win would you load up the 120 tacTX at warp, the 180 trophy bonded tip, the 195 tipped matchking, the 208 hornady bthp with the tip opened up just a tad, the 208 eld-m, the 210 accubond long range, the very retro 220 kksp round nose by the long defund CIL, the 225 eld m as a single feed only option (can't seat them deeper without deformity of the nose, don't currently have the special eld dies, or the cinder block of a bullet, the 250 grain round nose by hawk bullets?

please, none of the usual "whatever shoots best" non-answers. Assuming all of these could be made to shoot well, what would you load up first?
From your list, 210 Nosler LRAB.

Ed

I have used 180gr accubonds for the past 20 years taken many elk and deer. Anything bonded should do the trick. My 300 likes the 180's for some reason. And they shot faster then the heavier bullets. The fed of ablr should be the ticket.

1628694176236.png

We recommend these for single feed applications. You'd be surprised how fast you can follow up with these guys!

You are not supposed to hunt with match bullets, so I wouldn't use any of those. I would go with the 180 gr. bonded bullet.
Oh no you didn't!!!!! 😱🤣. No worries, all opinions welcome on here, though a statement like this is one massive can of worms to open. So long as sectional density, the definition of "overbore", the idea of hydraulic/hydrostatic shock, and the subject of flippin' carbon rings don't also come up we'll be fine. In my own experience match bullets of sufficient mass (I think they should be much heavier than equivalent purpose hunting bullets) are at least as effective as hunting bullets in certain situations. Can't deny field results. But I myself am also leaning towards the 180 tbt at this point.

what really grinds my gears are traditionally opinionated hunters (because calling them old timers is offensive!) I know who don't hesitate for a second to assert that a .243 with a 100 grain power point is a proven "hunting round" and approve its use for big game while raising their eyebrows at my lack of wisdom for using a fragile target bullet for hunting…never mind that it's a 225 out of a .300 win mag.