Opinions on borescope video requested

I took another video, but this time put the borescope in where the bolt goes in as opposed to the muzzle like before. Very different view, and it looks to me I do in fact have the hard carbon ring. Anyone disagree?

Putting the borescope in this way also showed that there is quite a bit of copper on the rifling still. It was much easier to see!

Last edited:
I've been having some issues with my rifle including poor accuracy, trouble closing the bolt, and most recently ejector marks on the brass. This is a Shilen prefit on a Savage action. With probably 700 or 800 down the tube this is the only time I've ever had problems. I'm shooting factory Hornady Superformance 129 gr SST 260 Rem.

Here's a video of my bore after a decent cleaning:

Reading on the internet leads me to believe I may have a "carbon ring". Any thoughts or advice?

Here's a video of the barrel before I cleaned it if it helps at all:

I think you do have a carbon ring. CLR on a mop brush a few times and let it soak. Then dry patch followed by 90% alcohol followed by dry patch to remove carbon ring . Dont get it on your bluing at the muzzle end. Keep it well oiled on the outside muzzle area to avoid it getting on the bluing constant wiping it down and oil.

I took another video, but this time put the borescope in where the bolt goes in as opposed to the muzzle like before. Very different view, and it looks to me I do in fact have the hard carbon ring. Anyone disagree?

Putting the borescope in this way also showed that there is quite a bit of copper on the rifling still. It was much easier to see!

I see NO carbon ring in my opinion, but if you think you do then treat it accordingly since it will satisfy your question .

For anyone still interested, I ordered some iosso and their eliminator brush and cleaned my barrel again with it. The first 4-8" look significantly better. There is still alot of carbon that I need to get out, I just ran out of time tonight. As the video gets farther down the barrel, you see where the brush cleaned some and left some. I think the real test will be to see if those rounds chamber normally, which I will also try later.

Last edited:
After cleaning it, 12 rounds now chamber normally and 11 still do not. So basically 50% of them.

Apparently both the barrel being dirty and rounds being of inconsistent dimensions were problems.

Good enough for me... i guess it's case closed. Thanks again for all your inputs an ideas!