Opinions on best low light ffp scope

What all do you like about it? I know that's a broad question but I'm leaning towards it or the kahles k525i at the moment going to research the ZC in a bit.
In the last year I have made the switch over to the Kahles 525i from a NF ATACR and a Vortex razor HD before that and I would never go back. I put a sun shades on it and also added the throw levels for adjusting focus and magnification ( bought these at B&H Photo which also sells the scopes). One of the things I love about my 525i is that my windage knob is on the left side of the scope instead of right, being a right-handed shooter it is sooo much easier to make adjustments. I thought I would mention this because it is a option that I haven't seen from others manufactures.

Like the title says, I'm looking for people experiences with ffp scopes with pretty good glass. Unfortunately I don't live in an area where I can just go look at them first hand. What I'm hoping to find is glass that is comparable to the swarovski z6. Mainly going to be used for hunting to 400 yds but I would like the ability to stretch it out at the range to a 1000 yds. Weight of the scope isn't a huge factor,, as I have light weight rigs already.. Going on a 6.5 creed at the moment but I move stuff around so who knows what it'll go on down the road. Also budget is around 3k, for the right scope could go up. Thanks for the help.
Schmidt Bender PM ii 5-25x56
NF Atacr 5-25x56
Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56
Leupold VX 5 HD CDS 3-15x44 HTMR (SFP)
Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29x56

You can't go wrong with any of these. They are all now tried and true and have in my opinion the best glass available today. Prices range from $1600 to $3500. You ought to be able to find the features you like and a reticle and weight that works for you. Any of these scope will last a life time. I own all but the NightForce. They are all tier 1 scopes manufactured in Europe, the US and Japan. Schmidt Bender manufacturers there own glass, The NF and Athlon are both manufactured in the LOW factory in Japan and the Leupolds use Schott glass as do most European manufacturers. Any of these scopes should be bomb proof. I cannot speak for night force but the other three are also great to work with should you ever need warranty work or have questions. Hope that helps you decide. Blessings!

Last edited:
How does that Kahles stack up agains the others….turret and glass wise?
Kahles is known for perfect tracking. Mine has been spot on out past 1400 yards. Turrets are very good, tactile and audible, just barely muted compared to ZCO.
Getting used to the top parallax is different. I had a K624i for years, so it is not totally foreign.
Glass is on par with NF ATACR glass in my opinion. My old K624i has some CA, but I don't see the same effect in the K318i. It is there just a bit, but not like the older glass. Plus, I don't shoot at zebras or skunks often, and it is not noticeable to me unless shooting at black and white targets. The glass is not as good as ZCO or TT, but I got mine for $2k, so for 54% of the cost of a new ZCO 420, I can live with the slightly lesser glass.

Kahles is known for perfect tracking. Mine has been spot on out past 1400 yards. Turrets are very good, tactile and audible, just barely muted compared to ZCO.
Getting used to the top parallax is different. I had a K624i for years, so it is not totally foreign.
Glass is on par with NF ATACR glass in my opinion. My old K624i has some CA, but I don't see the same effect in the K318i. It is there just a bit, but not like the older glass. Plus, I don't shoot at zebras or skunks often, and it is not noticeable to me unless shooting at black and white targets. The glass is not as good as ZCO or TT, but I got mine for $2k, so for 54% of the cost of a new ZCO 420, I can live with the slightly lesser glass.
I'm leaning toward the Kahles 525 for my next target scope but I have sometime to research before I decide. I noticed that ZCO is coming out with a moa reticle so I may consider that if funds allow when the time comes.
Schmidt Bender PM ii 5-25x56
NF Atacr 5-25x56
Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56
Leupold VX 5 HD CDS 3-15x44 HTMR (SFP)
Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29x56

You can't go wrong with any of these. They are all now tried and true and have in my opinion the best glass available today. Prices range from $1600 to $3500. You ought to be able to find the features you like and a reticle and weight that works for you. Any of these scope will last a life time. I own all but the NightForce. They are all tier 1 scopes manufactured in Europe, the US and Japan. Schmidt Bender manufacturers there own glass, The NF and Athlon are both manufactured in the LOW factory in Japan and the Leupolds use Schott glass as do most European manufacturers. Any of these scopes should be bomb proof. I cannot speak for night force but the other three are also great to work with should you ever need warranty work or have questions. Hope that helps you decide. Blessings!
Thank you, I'll look into them. I appreciate all the input I can get. Locally I can't really look thru these, I've bought some of my swarovski scopes locally and that glass has spoiled me, so I'm wanting to upgrade my target scopes mainly have vortex pst gen 2 and one vortex razor gen 2 that I do like and honestly they are probably good enough for what I do and my skill level, but doesn't stop me from wanting!

Thanks. I have the 525i and love it. I hate the CA filter that's in it, but figured I'd ask how the glass and turrets stack up against the TT which i've never had the opportunity to get behind.

I own and have tested against each other (all FFP): Trijicon 4.5-30x56 (pre "ten mile"), Night force 5-25x56 ATACR, Tangent Theta 5-25x56 MOA-ER, and most recently, the Valdada Recon G-2 4.8-30x56. All are 34mm tube except the G2, which is a 40mm.
From a strictly lowlight standpoint, the Theta is 1st. The NF barely edges out the G2, and the trijicon is close.
all are quality scopes, all good in low light, all but the Theta in your budget range.
Hope this helps.

near Nashville
Shoot at Chapel Hill
Me too, when I can get loose to get over there 4-6 times a year. I would like to see that TT. Is there somewhere in Nashville that stocks them? I live in North Alabama. We are about 2 hrs from Nashville but I am up there several times a year. Chapel Hill is about an hour and a half. I sometimes visit and have bought a few guns and things from Franklin Guns but not familiar with any of the other stores in the area. Would like to put my hands on a Tangent Theta and a few of the newer S&Bs, my PM ii is about 25 yrs old. Most of the shops in Alabama that I am aware of only stock NightForce, Luepold, and either Athlon or Vortex. A small few carry Lieca, Sawarski, Bushnell, and Kahles. I have owned or currently own most of them and have time behind them all but I have zero experience with the Tangent Thetas, however, I have heard good things. I am still of the opinion that the PM ii is the standard by which all others are measured but I understand that Tangent Theta has raised the bar.

Dozer83, I am outside of Lebanon. will be happy to meet. Text to discuss further 615.39.9487.
Paladin300, we can meet at Strategic Edge (Chapel Hill) sometime, I am there at least once a week. Text to discuss further.
Thanks, Dennis