Opinions on barrel length please

huntoregon

I have a little money burning a hole in my pocket and I want to re-barrel a rifle. The rifle is a Vanguard 2 300 Win. I have already set my mind on keeping the 300wm and having Bartlein make me a 5R 1:10 twist barrel but I cant decide on length.

1st option is 26"
2nd is 24" with a muzzle brake
3rd is 24" no brake-don't really see this happening

I will be hunting in Oregon and Idaho, lots of walking and hiking. I am pretty new to all this so I would love opinions. I have never modified a hunting rifle so I don't know the pros or cons to situations you guys might have.

My Opinion is......

If I was building a 300Win Mag, I would use a 24" long barrel with a 9" twist.

I would do a 30" barrel with a brake. That should have you sending 215 Bergers around 3000 fps.

I think 30" with a brake would be a little too much to be packing around. I don't even like the idea of a 26" with a brake.

With a 24" barrel and a 180gr bullet you maxing out around 650yrds for elk. With a 30" and 215gr you with good till 1050yrds at 5000ft alt. I going to up grade my barrel also I have a 26" with a brake and no problem packing anywhere. I wil be getting a 30" with a brake for my Weatherby I should be pushing 230 bergers 3100fps.

If weight and handling are of no issue I would go 26"+, if you want to save a little weight and hit less limbs while shouldered 24".

I am currently building a 24 maybe 25" 300wm myself. I plan to shoot 215s.

I have been shooting junk factory ammo 180grn bullets. After reading this forum I need to get into reloading with some good bullets. Powder is near impossible to buy around me though.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.