Opinions needed!!

The friends I shoot with and I have had much better success with the accuracy of factory Savages over the past decade or so, including in .300 WM. Remington 700s are a crap shoot with factory barrels, but we have not seen a Savage that didn't shoot well out of the box.

the friends i shoot with and i have had much better success with the accuracy of factory savages over the past decade or so, including in .300 wm. Remington 700s are a crap shoot with factory barrels, but we have not seen a savage that didn't shoot well out of the box.

ditto!

Attachments

• a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    15 KB · Views: 62
I have decided to expand my rifle collection to include a .300 Win mag. I am looking to spend between $1k-$1500 on the rifle but I can't decide on what I want to get. I really like the sendero sfII but a couple other guys that I hunt with have that rifle in the .300 so I wanted to be different. Any opinions on what I should look into as far as brands or models that y'all may have had experience with? Thanks

Check out the offerings from SAKO, i.e. A7 Roughteck (Sako A7 Big Game Bolt-Action Rifles : Cabela's)

lightbulbYou don't have to change anything with it.lightbulb

I don't have personal experience with it but a friend has one and have very good success in LRH for deer and elk. SAKOs are renowned for their accuracy; I have an older SAKO M995 in .300 WM that I harvested an elk with in 2013 at 931 yards.

Good luck!

Check out the offerings from SAKO, i.e. A7 Roughteck (Sako A7 Big Game Bolt-Action Rifles : Cabela's)

lightbulbYou don't have to change anything with it.lightbulb

I don't have personal experience with it but a friend has one and have very good success in LRH for deer and elk. SAKOs are renowned for their accuracy; I have an older SAKO M995 in .300 WM that I harvested an elk with in 2013 at 931 yards.

Good luck!
At that price it would certainly be one to look at if I needed yet another .300wm.

I've only shot a few SAKOs over the years and every one of them was flawless.

We had a friend who, when I was young, had the "West Texas Outdoorsman" show and Sako was one of his sponsors. I have no doubt their quality standards remain as high as anyone in the business.

Having a number of Savages and custom rifles, none are smoother or more well made than my old Tikka 300WM Whitetail Hunter. No need to true or get a new trigger (crisp and adjustable), and the factory stock is fine for hunting (not the tupperware crap you see a lot of these days). A friend of mine has a Rem mil spec 308 that shoots well, but than a well known gunsmith I know says the extraction timing is nearly always screwed up on current actions. Savages shoot well, but usually require a bit of polishing to achieve a smooth operating action; not unusual for extraction problems too. I hear the current T3 is not quite as nice overall as my older generation model, but I have not seen one personally. Tikka or Howa would be my choice for a factory hunting rifle these days.

I plan to put the NF SHV 4-14x56mm. Do you guys recommend the one piece mounts and rings or should I go with a 2 piece set up? What brand do you recommend? I didn't realize how much some of the ring set-ups cost.

I plan to put the NF SHV 4-14x56mm. Do you guys recommend the one piece mounts and rings or should I go with a 2 piece set up? What brand do you recommend? I didn't realize how much some of the ring set-ups cost.

If you're spending that much on a scope and rifle, might as well spend the money on a quality base and rings.

My recommendation is an EGW HD 20 MOA rail with Seekins Precision rings.

The seekins rings are much more reasonable than others that I have looked at. They were upwards of $200+.

One piece as they help to stiffen the action making it more consistent. The EGW HD rail is a very solid and economical choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.