Opinions needed!!

Bkmuschalek78

I have decided to expand my rifle collection to include a .300 Win mag. I am looking to spend between $1k-$1500 on the rifle but I can't decide on what I want to get. I really like the sendero sfII but a couple other guys that I hunt with have that rifle in the .300 so I wanted to be different. Any opinions on what I should look into as far as brands or models that y'all may have had experience with? Thanks

I guess I should add a little more detail in, I will be using the rifle for whitetail,hogs,mule deer, and hopefully I'll get my chance at an elk one day. It will be mostly shooting from a blind or off the golf cart so weight isn't much of a factor but for mule deer and elk it will be a semi pack rifle.

I have to say that you cannot go wrong with the Sendero. For a factory rifle they shoot pretty well. If you want to be different, like a friend of mine did, you could go with the 700p. Which is the police version of the 700. It has mid weight barrel and an HS Precision stock. With the extra money you could have it bedded and install a new trigger. There is also the Savage long range hunter rifles that I hear shoot very well. But I don't have any personal experience with them. Tikka makes a decent rifle in the T3. You could use the extra money on better optics. The best thing to do is go to a gun store and see what feels comfortable. Good luck in your search.

Today is the first time I have seen the 5R. I really like it but I haven't ruled out the savage models yet.

I bought a Savage FCP last year in.300 WM. It shoots real well. It is in a HS Precision stock, litlle heavy for what your plans are. Savage has a good line of rifles, they have already been mentioned, check them out.

Winchester Model 70 Stainless classic. (carry weight rifle)

Winchester Laredo. (bit heavier and built for long range.) You'll have to find this one used but they do come up for sale occasionally. One of the best ever built.

Remington 300 win mag 5r
^^^^This. Remington is now selling the black cerakote version with tan stock that looks kinda cool. A friend of mine has one of the green stocked ones with a VX-6 and a Timney and it's a 1/2 moa gun.

I have decided to expand my rifle collection to include a .300 Win mag. I am looking to spend between $1k-$1500 on the rifle but I can't decide on what I want to get. I really like the sendero sfII but a couple other guys that I hunt with have that rifle in the .300 so I wanted to be different. Any opinions on what I should look into as far as brands or models that y'all may have had experience with? Thanks

Remington 700 5R Milspec .300WM 26" barrel. I bet none of them have one of those. :D

Any of the more speciality 700's. Sendero, 5r, LRH.. pick one or watch the classifieds for a custom.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.