Opinions Needed: Burris Veracity 5-25

Tumbleweed

Looking for some experienced opinions on the Burris Veracity 5-25x50 riflescope. I've looked at lots of reviews and these look really good so far.
This would be going on my full custom 300RUM and will be used on shots to a mile every once in a while. I have a 20MOA base already on the rifle so I know I can get close to the 2000K mark with the 65moa available in these scopes.
The price point is in my range at $1000 or just under.

I currently have a Vortex PST 6-24 SFP that has screwed up for the third and last time. It's going down the road after I make Vortex replace it this time. It has cost me too much much money in components and troubleshooting not to mention having zero confidence in it anymore, but that's all beside the point:rolleyes:
Thanks for your input!

I have the 4-20x50 and very pleased with it. If you have not done so already, checkout the new XTR sig rings with inserts.

Good luck

Hi Ed. Can you tell me more about how you've used it? Max range you've shot to, have you used it in tough weather conditions? Does it track 100% true and return to zero?

I have the 4-20x50 and very pleased with it. If you have not done so already, checkout the new XTR sig rings with inserts.

Good luck

Hi Ed. Can you tell me more about how you've used it? Max range you've shot to, have you used it in tough weather conditions? Does it track 100% true and return to zero?

The furthest I've shot at was a rock at 650 yards thus far (can't seem to find some time to extend it :D) and a MT muley buck harvest at 311 yards (heart shot).

As far as repeatability/tracking, see #48 of this thread >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...w-ballistic-e1-ffp-reticle-130833/index7.html

Below was posted by a fellow end-user on another forum ...

Burris Veracity 4-20x50 - An Amateur's Opinion

In hopes of helping someone who may be in the market for a mid-priced scope, I thought I might offer an opinion on a purchase I recently made. Specifically, the scope is a Burris Veracity 4-20x50 Ballistic E1 FFP Varmint Reticle w/ side-focus ordered through Amazon from HPP Enterprises for $750.00. I won't include photos because there are much better pics on the net than I could provide.

After ordering, the scope was delivered in a timely four days, and came packaged in an impressive and protective manner. Once I completed an initial inspection I immediately mounted it atop Rocky 7, my much beloved 112 7mag with varmint contour barrel and Timney trigger that shoots 168 gr Berger VLD's to ½ moa consistently. The scope was mounted in Millett 30mm (6 screw) rings on top of an EGW 20 moa base.

Once laser bore-sighting was completed and 4'x4' cardboard with 1" grid zero target was affixed to the 100 yard target frame, I proceeded to the bench to get the scope zeroed. At the bench I removed the turret caps and adjusted the ocular focus and side focus until the target and crosshairs were clear and parallax free. I set the magnification to 16x and after firing, counting the grids and adjusting the turrets I achieved my 200 yard zero after only four rounds.

Notes about the knobs and adjustments: The magnification ring, side-focus, turret caps and target turrets are all identically and effectively knurled to give the user adequate purchase and leverage. The adjustments are firm yet turn effortlessly. All adjustments are incredibly smooth, with no grit, grind or perceptible change in tension throughout their respective rotations.

The target turrets are 3/4" tall with the aforementioned knurls for ease of adjustment. The elevation turret has an actual zero-stop system which I set by loosening two set screws on the top edge of the knob, lifting slightly on the knob, turning to zero, pushing gently down on the knob and retightening the set screws. After setting the zero-stop I turned the elevation up an unspecified amount and then back to the stop. I shot a five round .535" inch group while performing this operation. The scope returned to zero each time. The elevation turret has two rows of numbers. The bottom row starts at zero and rotates to 15 where the numbers start over with the top row which number 15 through 30. It is very easy to keep up with your adjustment. I found 58 moa of elevation above my zero-stop.

After being satisfied that the scope was sufficiently mounted I returned to the target frame and replaced the target with a new one. Returning to the bench I performed an admittedly abbreviated 6 shot box test – from zero, up 4, right 6, down 8, left 6 and up 4 where the last hole almost touched the first one. To say I was pleased would be an understatement. Out of curiosity I peeked down the left side of the tube to see how closely the side-focus, which adjusts from 50 yards to infinity, might correspond to my actual target distance. I was pleased to see that the tick mark was squarely in the center of the number 100.

Although I can feel and hear the clicks when adjusting the turrets, I would like a bit more tactile feel in the clicks. Also, the flip-up scope caps that come with the scope are functional but definitely not the highest of quality. Not a deal breaker, but still.

The ballistic E1 Varmint reticle has bullet drop compensation hashes below the horizontal and MOA hashes above the horizontal for target ranging. The turret/reticle is essentially an MOA/MOA setup. Being a mil-dot man I had never ranged with an MOA reticle so I decided I would see how close I could get. Sitting at our dining room table, and making certain ol' Rocky 7 was clear, I turned the scope to 18x and aimed at my niece's house across a large pasture. Setting the horizontal at the bottom of a window of known size I counted the hashes and performed the necessary calculations. I came up with a bit over 600. I then ranged the house with my Nikon ProStaff 7 rangefinder which read 597 yards. I figured that was acceptable.

[FONT=&amp]As far as optical clarity, the Veracity is exceptionally clear edge to edge even at maximum magnification. I have looked at different targets through the scope at dusk and I am very excited about its light gathering capabilities. I have been behind more expensive scopes than the Veracity, and many I would love to own if I could justify the expense, but after using this scope it would be very hard, indeed, to justify that extra money. Given Burris' reputation for rugged dependability and the Veracity's fit, finish, features, clarity and performance I believe it will be hard for another manufacturer to match this optic for less than $1000. [/FONT]​
Cheers!

Ed

I agree with the posts above. I have two 4 x 20 x 50"s and one 5 x 25 x 50 and they all track and have very clear optics. The 5x 25 is on my 338 RUM and so far has worked flawlessly. Shot out to 800 yards so far with the 5 x 25.
I am not a scope expert, but I don't know of anything out there for the price that's better, so I have three of them.

If you are truly planning on shooting to a mile, and doing it with any sort of frequency, than I feel you should look at a different optic. A used XTR2 can be found in you price range and will offer more internal adjustment or you can go with a Sightron S3 that has 100 MOA of adjustment and can be found for less than $800 and you can put the other $200 towards some nice rings and a scope level.

I have the XTR2 3-15 and so far seem to like it but I'll be honest and admit that the S3 is still probably my favorite sub $1k scope for long range shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts