Opinions - Most Accurate $500 ish 22LR rifle

Don't laugh guys but I bought a Ruger American and replaced the trigger with a Timney and done a little stock work to stiffen it up and its been very accurate.

Cheap mags is a plus (same as 10/22's)

Not taking anything from the CZ or Tikka guys as I know they shoot very well.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck with what ever you buy.

I have a $400 CZ 455 American and a $3,000 Cooper JSR, and both are equally and exceptionally accurate with Wolf Match Target. The CZ is very nice looking, but the Cooper is beautiful.

I only have semi auto 22's but have a ton of ammo and thinking about getting a bolt gun for range practice to save my target run's barrel for mostly matches and to save components/cost. I could pay for a $500 gun inside of 6 months of shooting.

I'm looking for a full sized bolt 22lr with as good of accuracy as $500 will buy and a decent trigger.

I could put a barrel and trigger on one of my 10/22's but would rather have a bolt gun.

Note I already have a good scope to use.
I have nothing to compare, but my CZ 455 American is a shooter. I also love the ability to change barrels. In addition to 22 LR, I have the 22 WMR barrel and may in time acquire the 17 HMR barrel too.

IMHO Tikka T1X is currently the best (new) $500 rifle out there now. A friend of mine bought a new 457, it's a beautiful rifle but not impressive when shots are put on paper. My Tikka will out score it by several points at our gun club when we shoot sporter fun matches off a bench. The owner is a very good shooter and knows how to get the most accuracy out of his equipment.

Small sample I know.

I have a couple of Savage MKII's I've owned for about 5 years, A TR and a BVSS. Both were less then $500 and are exceptionally accurate, consistent, and reliable, shown with Federal HV GM match(100 yards) and Lapua Center-X(200 yards).
FB607CD1-155E-447B-BDAC-DA3DC920DC5B.jpeg3F235C7E-4105-46A1-A578-9C2357EB79FF.jpeg

Has anyone tried the Ruger Precision rifle 22 yet. It's retail is $529.00. I have a tack driving 10/22 I built for around $600. It'll do about 7/8" at 100 yards with Federal GMM. I don't know how that stacks up against the CZ or Tikka.
I bought 2 Ruger Precision Rimfires in 22LR before Christmas for my kids. One cost $449 and the other was $419. Both shoot and cycle great, no issues with loading or extracting rounds. They are setup with Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 rimfire scopes and Magpul bipods. My only trigger time was to break in the barrels and get the scopes sighted in. The kids have a couple of hundred rounds each through the barrel and are getting good groups when they do there job. Can't say accuracy wise if they are any better or worse than my Savage Mk II heavy barrel laminated, but they are definitely not as finicky with ammo.

I just picked up a CZ trainer. It shows real promise, but I still need to get a decent scope on it.

I only have semi auto 22's but have a ton of ammo and thinking about getting a bolt gun for range practice to save my target run's barrel for mostly matches and to save components/cost. I could pay for a $500 gun inside of 6 months of shooting.

I'm looking for a full sized bolt 22lr with as good of accuracy as $500 will buy and a decent trigger.

I could put a barrel and trigger on one of my 10/22's but would rather have a bolt gun.

Note I already have a good scope to use.
If you go to www.youngerauction.com there is two day auction coming up on Feb 13-14.
They have many 22 target rifles. You might want to check it out.
Hope this helps,
George

I have 2 CZ 452 that I shoot in competition. I usually win. Usually by a good margin. I highly recommend them. However I have heard good reports for Tikka T1's and they deserve a look. For it's price the Savage guns and Ruger Americans shoot well and some guys get lucky with them. The Savages often need to be worked on. None I have seen compare to my CZ Lux or CZ American. We had an online prove it match on another forum. I shot a Remington 540XR target gun that was second to a Remington 40X. The 40X was far better than anything else. For my money and experience a CZ 457 is the best bet in that price range. Some guys might show a lucky cherry picked group, don't go by that.

I am willing to make a friendly wager for stock sporter weight rifles under $500 at my local range at 50 yards. With witnesses of course, and in a spirit of fun.

Last edited:
I have a Marlin xt22 bolt gun with a tube mag. It has some kind of accutrigger on it.
I am not in your league of shooting but I like it.
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.