Opinions- Front and rear support for hunting

My favorite set up to date is an arca mount on my rifle and use my spotting scope tripod for the front, and bag for rear while in prone, and pack for rear if sitting or kneeling. I live here in Wyoming and hunt the plains up to the high mountains in the Wyoming range. The tripod adds significant weight to the rifle while shooting, a good thing for long range work, but doesn't add any more weight to my pack because I have it for my spotter anyway.

While I have been hunting for over 30 years, I am taking my first Mule Deer trip, in the mountains of WY in a couple of months. I am all about shooting as supported as possible, both front and rear. I have made other inquiries about gear that I thought I had squared away and have actually learned a bunch form the feedback that I got.

So, what have you guys found to be the most versatile for front and rear support of the rifle? I don't expect any crazy long shots, but even at 400 yds, without good support, it's pretty easy to miss. I don't want to count on being able to lay down prone, but that may end up being the case. We are packing in and out of this hunt and will be on horses, so weight and packability will be a consideration. I am already planning to have my tripod with me for extended glassing periods.

Pictures and links to your favorite arrangements would be very helpful. Thanks.
I like an arca style carbon fiber (for light weight) tripod (have several brands; some double as trekking poles/bipod or monopod....buyer's choices galore) adjustable from prone to standing. Use two point rifle sling with center wrapped once around tripod leg. Adjust angle and tension with twist of sling wrap with support hand. Depending upon height and time to set up, use pack suspended from tripod (touching ground for no swing) for stability. Or, use ratchet strap (or other adjustable strap) from tripod hook down to an "eye tent stake" pushed/driven into ground at an angle. Rather than the sling twist method, some use sling from rifle fore end to their belt for stability. I haven't been as successful with this method. I've also hunted with fellows using one of the Caldwell Shooting pods......a tripod with a two point rifle cradle (fore and aft). Not too heavy, especially if "horseing in"......use second scabbard for the Caldwell....legs in scabbard; cradle out alongside scabbard. I often use glassing bar on the tripod to mount spotting scope or ranging binos for glassing/ranging for longer periods. Actually pack a carbon leg tripod/triangular fabric seat to ease the ole knees for extended glassing. Watch on Youtube "The Precision Rifle Sling" for several options of sling/tripod.
Barrett50BMG on Hog Saddle + Tripod.jpg
Just a really, really old geezer's take.

A bipod (front rest) is an improvement from un supported. A solid rear rest improves the system about that much more for me.

Check out the Floyd Shooting Systems Rear Precision Pod. It's a rear rest made to go along with whatever you already use in the front. It's light and easy to pack into the field, and it helps you shoot nearly as well as shooting off a bench.

Best case scenario would be a light CF bipod as I assume you'll be hiking. And use youre hunting pack to steady your elbow. Next best is tripod shooting sticks with same elboow rest. Or if youre using a frame pack you use it to blance on but that is much less steady. This is all assuming you cant get low to use a bipod. Good luck on your hunt

In hunting I shoot a lot in sitting position.
I use on the front longest versapod bipod and for rear wiebad pump pilow (under my arm).

If you'll be walking a lot, which one of the real joys of hunting, I think carrying a bunch of gadgets around isn't fun or practical. No doubt some of the products mentioned on this thread will help you shoot better from a more steady position, but at what cost? I tried light bipods, but don't even like them on my rifles. I minimize whenever possible.

We're almost always carrying a pack of some sort anyway, so save the money you'd spend on gizmos, buy or handload more ammo and practice shooting off your pack. That can be super stable prone, if terrain allows a prone shot. Last year my wife collected her Wyoming buck with one shot from sitting position, with her pack under her left leg for support. She was very steady and comfortable shooting over the brush which wouldn't abide the prone position.

I saw a few comments here about the importance of accurate shooting positions with minimal equipment. I'm old school that way I suppose. I do like a rear bag/support when time allows. I have an old canvas shot bag in my pack with some minute rice in it which is easy to form for a rear bag or on top a rock/log/backpack to get a little padded elevation for support. Minute rice is light, and of course if you're pack hunting you can eat it, unlike those little foam or plastic pellets which take a long time to cook and are very hard to digest. I also saw a comment about using a rolled-up piece of clothing for a rear rest. All good.

Use things in your environment and stuff you already have in your pack; and then practice in odd-awkward-practical field positions on hillsides in the rocks and brush to make those longer shots quick, clean and ethical.
Best of luck to you Sir!

I use a bipod if I'm carrying one and pack if I'm not for a front rest. I recently started carrying a Rugged Ridge rear support for when I'm hunting. Its light, fast, takes up very little room and works very well in a variety of positions.

I run a game changer bag. Use it as a front bag and also can be used as rear. You might look at the pint size for hunting

I don't know why more folks don't use the Ching sling, invented by a student of Colonel Cooper's at Gunsite. Pretty close to a military sling in stability but much quicker, and except for the Marines, and M 1 shooters I'll bet not 1 in a 1000 hunters knows how to use a military sling. Ching sling plus shooting sticks/bipod/pack and you're good to go.

Whatever you choose, make sure to practice different shooting positions.

If you can try an Anvil 30 from rrs and get it attacjed to any carbon fiber tripod, ull be suprised how rock solid it is. Have s gunsmith install a full length arca rail on your hunting rig. We shoot at steep angles and when you lock down the anvil 30, its nearly benchrest steady, no joke.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.