Opinions for modular stock

A lot of Chassis can add significant weight, depending. I also have a KRG Bravo and really like it. I've added the adjustable buttstock to it - cant and length and an ARCA rail for shooting off a tripod. I really like it's fit and feel - though mines not light with the 5-25x50 I've got on it.

I have an Sig cross that I really like too. Much lighter and more compact. It has a more typical metal chassis with folding stock. However, it is cold on the hands in winter and can make that annoying metal ring when it bangs up against things. I've found I prefer a more traditional rifle stock though with a fairly vertical grip that is comfortable prone as well as offhand.

I've always liked the look and feel of the GRS stocks. Not a chassis, but adjustable cheek piece and length of pull and comes in great looking, warm laminates.
The cold metal has been a thought. I would still keep a traditional stock and been able to swap out if I needed to

I want to keep an eye on the weight but it isn't a huge deal, that being said I don't want to mount the rifle into a block of concrete either

Is carbon fiber, so is quiet and warm. You should definitely buy one of these if they come in an inlet for the rifle you've got. Plus, as an added benefit if you buy one and like it I'll know I should get one 🤣🤣

Is carbon fiber, so is quiet and warm. You should definitely buy one of these if they come in an inlet for the rifle you've got. Plus, as an added benefit if you buy one and like it I'll know I should get one 🤣🤣
Lol I have looked at that one. Weight is good and overall looks great. I'd like to put my hands on one

Just weighed mine. 11 lbs 14.5 oz. Get rid of the arca rail and get a lighter optic (mine is 31 oz) and you could get it down to 11.5 or 11 lbs easily. My Tikka CTR has a heavy (not quite bull contour) 24" barrel as well.

You have a rifle in mind you're thinking of dropping into a chassis?

Attachments

• D0F77F6C-E8AA-41A1-BDEF-C33648710DF8.jpeg
    D0F77F6C-E8AA-41A1-BDEF-C33648710DF8.jpeg
    874.4 KB · Views: 37
Just weighed mine. 11 lbs 14.5 oz. Get rid of the arca rail and get a lighter optic (mine is 31 oz) and you could get it down to 11.5 or 11 lbs easily. My Tikka CTR has a heavy (not quite bull contour) 24" barrel as well.

You have a rifle in mind you're thinking of dropping into a chassis?
Yes I have a Zermatt origin with proof barrels, it is close to 6.5 lbs on the traditional stock w/o scope and rings. That gun has a Nightforce Nxs which adds some weight after scope and rings it is close to 9lbs. I know I don't want to go any lighter than what it is already

Love the krg bravo on my tikka. I tried to go back to the factory stock to save some weight, but the ergos and shootability with the krg is worth a pound to me.

My tikka t3x with 24" proof research steel factory contour barrel, bushnell lrhs2, is 9lbs and change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the krg bravo on my tikka. I tried to go back to the factory stock to save some weight, but the ergos and shootability with the krg is work a pound to me.

My tikka t3x with 24" proof research steel factory contour barrel, bushnell lrhs2, is 9lbs and change.
Are there any draw backs for you?

I have an MDT HNT26 that I bought because it was the lightest option for a savage action and I was trying to make as light a rifle with it as possible. I can't put my hands on exactly why but I just prefer a traditional stock but I am the same way with AR's too. I have several ARs for hog hunting and have gone back and forth with them too, just don't feel as good carrying but they are handy when you get into a big sounder. I would say if you are comfortable shooting/carrying an AR, a chassis bolt gun won't feel much different.

I have an MDT HNT26 that I bought because it was the lightest option for a savage action and I was trying to make as light a rifle with it as possible. I can't put my hands on exactly why but I just prefer a traditional stock but I am the same way with AR's too. I have several ARs for hog hunting and have gone back and forth with them too, just don't feel as good carrying but they are handy when you get into a big sounder. I would say if you are comfortable shooting/carrying an AR, a chassis bolt gun won't feel much different.
I don't mind shooting my Ar's and like having the adjustments, but the stocks tend to rip out beard hair and when hit against a tree stand are louder than traditional. My main thoughts on doing the modular setup or chassis is so I can add a thermal scope in front of my scope so I don't have to remove it. That way I don't have to adjust my zero on the thermal, I use it on multiple rifles. My other thought was to be able to add a MARS system onto my existing setup.

I don't mind shooting my Ar's and like having the adjustments, but the stocks tend to rip out beard hair and when hit against a tree stand are louder than traditional. My main thoughts on doing the modular setup or chassis is so I can add a thermal scope in front of my scope so I don't have to remove it. That way I don't have to adjust my zero on the thermal, I use it on multiple rifles. My other thought was to be able to add a MARS system onto my existing setup.
The HNT26 didn't pull beard hairs but have had several ARs do that lol. I think the HNT26 has an mlok section above the barrel where you could mount a short pic rail to use a thermal in front of your day scope....that's what I do for my ARs. Might be hard to get them lined up though depending on your scope mount. The HNT26 has adjustable cheek rest so would be helpful getting high enough.