Opinion on McMillan Stocks

UK Varminter

I have a a McMillan M40A1 (HTG)type Stock which I purchased as the starting point for a long range rifle I am planning.

The next step was quotes for rebarrelling a Remington action. I phoned up one well respected Gunsmith in the UK and gave him my spec. His exact words were 'throw the McMillan stock in the bin'. Now maybe this guy knows something that the US marines and lord knows how many millions of civilian shooters don't, but I would appreciate any views from the forum.

Hello,
I am myself based in the UK as well, I am using Mac Millan stock and I am very Happy with it.
Could it be possible to have the name of your respectable gunsmith?
Good shooting.
ND
PS: tell us a bit more about your project...
wink.gif

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but I believe you hit it on the head when you mentioned the saticefaction of the U.S. Marines and many shooters, including a good percentage of the guys on this site. There are a lot of HTG users here, easily one of the most common stocks employed when long range rifles are discussed.

Maybe he hoped to check your bin so as to get his hands on a good stock for nothin'
wink.gif

Good luck building your new rifle.

I would be happy to give my opinion
grin.gif

I have the same stock and I dont believe any other stock can fullfil as many roles as the M40A1 type stock. It may not be the ultimate BR stock or the ultimate anything particular, but it fills the role of many uses nicly. As far as I am concerned, McMillan makes the only stock worth a
?!*#
smile.gif

Stick to the McMillan. (Opinion only)

UK Varminter,
I would find another smith. I wouldn't use anyone who was so disrespectful to a customers choice of materials. Especially one who questions the reputation and quality of a McMillan. Even if he doesn't agree with you he should be more tactful or at least provide suggestions. I would be very upset if I spent umpteen hundreds of dollars (or pounds) and had the smith tell me "its junk get rid of it." Sounds like he might be trying to sell you a stock himself. Who knows.
In case you can't tell I'm torqued off for ya! Customer service and respect regardless of the customers knowlege, or lack of, is very high on my list. Try someone else.
Dave in Idaho

I own three McMillans, one of which is an HTG.

Couldn't be happier with all three.

Methinks the 'smith made a poor call here. Far too much real world McMillan loyalty to give his comment any credibility.

I don't think you want to have your project attended to by someone whom has such an obvious dislike for one of the primary components.

Best of luck.

Your smith must have been into the bottle pretty hard that day...
shocked.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

If I could I would have a McMillan on all my rifles!..

If you don't want that stock I'll take it!!!!

on second thought.. you should throw that thing away .. just make sure you throw it my way!!!

Hi UK varminter.
Can you just tell me wich part of the country that gunsmith is? I just think I might have a gess.
If you want a contact with a good gunsmith, try Norman Clark in Rugby, he is a very nice guy and he does some excellent work on those Remingtons+ He will be more than happy to bed your Mac millan stock.
Good shooting.
ND

Hi UK varminter.
Can you just tell me wich part of the country that gunsmith is? I just think I might have a gess.
If you want a contact with a good gunsmith, try Norman Clark in Rugby, he is a very nice guy and he does some excellent work on those Remingtons+ He will be more than happy to bed your Mac millan stock.
Good shooting.
ND

UKV and all,
I have personally talked to Kelly McMillan on the phone a couple of times concerning projects of mine.
We even had a guy that was concerned that his small hand would not grip the palm swell in the grip area correctly.
I suggested that he call Kelly himself and see if there was anything that could be done.
Kelly responded on the the website and stated since the guy was only 3 hours away from Phoenix that he could drive out to the shop and they could could special mold the grip area to fit him personally.
That my friends is what I call customer service at it's finist.
I am not affiliated with McMillan in any way shape or form, just another shooter.
Later,
RedMan*

Thanks for the replies Folks. I bought the stock after seeing pictures of the old US Marines M40A1 type sniping rifle and don't regret my purchase one little bit.

I was so taken back by this Gunsmiths attitude when I was actually speaking to him that it wasn't until after I had completed the call that I could comprehend what he had actually said. I also remember that when I told him I intended to make a semi-custom rifle out of old Rem 700 action I had sourced he stated I "was doing it on the cheap".

I was absolutely fuming following the call and it was all my wife could do to stop me phoning him back and giving him a piece of my mind. Needless to say he won't be getting my business.

D-Mon I don't want to print the name of the 'Smith involved as in fairness unless he is a member of this Forum he does not have a chance to defend himself.

Hi Redman

I don't doubt your sentiments for a minute. I am more than pleased with the stock. It was purely the Gunsmiths attitude I was disapointed with but that won't stop me buying McMillan again. Their product and reputation more than outweighs one biased opinion.

D-Mon

He's based in London and is well known for his Remington Rifle conversions. He won't be carrying out any work on mine!

Ok,
I see who you are talking about. I must admit that I have never dealt with him. So I would not judge.
So, if you are based in Scotland, why going all the way to London, when you can stop in Rugby? Check out for the adress in GUN MART.
Good luke for your project.
ND

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.